3D view with NVIDIA glasses hardware

enbo

Hello everybody,

I need to analyze anaglyph images with my remote sensing software (ENVI ZOOM) but I would avoid to use the red/blue glasses, and substitute these paper glasses with the more advanced 3D Vision NVIDIA system.

This because I need to analyze a huge amount of images and after one working day, without R/B glasses, I see red in one eye and blue in the other for at least 1 hour...  :huh:

My question is: there is someone in this forum that work with this kind of system for 3D landscape analysis on GIS/RS softwares?

What system did you suggest? My images occupy sometimes huge volumes (~500Mb) and I need a "robust" software to manage these images.

Before to acquire a new 120Mhz flat-screen, a new graphic card and adapted glasses I would like to have some advices, but just today I haven't found ANY user in this domain (nor in the ENVI community forum).

Thanks a lot at all.

Hard job indeed! Before I say anything please consider changing your job, you'll only end up loosing your vision soon! You can always spend few bucks to get a new gadgets but you'll never find A NEW PAIR OF EYES!!!! :embarrassed:

Concerning your question, hmm rare stuff! I myself had a hobby of reading 3d art mags once. No, didn't tried stereoscopic imaging with RS, but did few strokes with 3ds max, realflow and premier pro. You didn't actually described your work, though let's try making few guesses.

You are analyzing quite a bit of satellite images which you want to be 'stereoscopically' corrected with visually compelling presentation. If i am not wrong, stereoscopic images contain two different angle of every frame. I guess you can build 3d landscape with Sketchup more quickly with final touch up of any post production software like Adobe premiere pro or Autodesk smoke. If it is not about visual presentation, Erdas is good for you. (The thing about these post production software are they ensure quality output in every frame so need not to try every piece to get relaxed.)

Analyzing high amount of data you'll need strong gpu/cpu support before buying hardcore production software. This means you'll need to do parallel operation on multicore processors with high scalability and performance at the same time. Look for a good workstation with nvidia quadro or cuda solution. Consider avoiding windows if this happens.

I guess my story won't help you that much. Good luck with your eyes.

Hi,

I have a  bit of experience been working with the  Purview extention for Arcgis,it have a total compatibility within arcgis 9x  at least,i'm not sure if it can work with Arcgis 10.

The system in  wich i work  it is integrated of a i3 procesor,a graphic card Quadro 600, the active glasses ,and the lcd monitor with  120 hrz of refresh rate.

If you describe more about you job may be i can help you.

Pd.Im sorry for my english. :rolleyes:

Hi eliasj (don't worry about your english, it's not better than mine...)

Thank you for suggestion, I don't know this software but it seems to fit my needs looking at the related website (http://www.purview.com/index.html).

I'm working with ArcGis 9.x and eventually I can contact the company to ask if they have previewed a future release for AG 10.x

What I need essentially is to analyze stereoscopic images acquired by satellites (SPOT, ASTER, WorldView_II, Ikonos...) for geological analysis to extract linear patterns (joints, faults..), structures (folds), and for geomorphological purposes (erosion, landslides, ...). All of this require sometimes hours of work with red/blue glasses and what I'm searching for (as defined in my previous post) is to avoid these glasses and use a more "technological" system like the shutter glasses.

Concerning the hardware this will be not a problem, I can adapt the system. More technical info are available in the pdf's available on the website.

Hi enbo

I think that purview is a good alternative for your work,also his integration inside arcgis make much more easy the digitalization process.

Anyways is alway advisable not to wear the glasses for  a long time and without breaks.I never used the anaglifo glasses,but with the active ones i had somes headashes, unless in the first week ,if you have a lot of images to analyze maybe you need to search a little help

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I Think LPS is the most adapt software. You need a very good graphic card a Quadro Nvidia would fine and the glasses fit with that. This hardware would be able to display an active stereo image or passive stereo (cinema 3D). But it won't solve your porblem because instead of seeing red/bleu you will have headache (depends on person).

To use that software you have to rest after 30 min.

• Like 1