arcgis pro or arcmap?

intertronic

hello everyone, 

I'm a long time user of arcmap and already two years ago on my computer I installed arcgis pro... now I don't know for you but I'm postponing for years the real switch between versions and I'm still on arcmap...
this because it seems to me that even if the expectations were very high, arcgis pro still doesn't seem to have that much declaimed performance. In particular, I'm concerned about the fact that for every little thing, it starts a geoprocessing that lasts between seconds and minutes, then for each function is a maze of menus and submenus where at the end I don't know where they are anymore.

and I don't know for you, but it seems to me that "pro" is just an advertising program to convince even those who are not professionals to make maps, this even if they don't understand technically what they did.

• Like 2

what's really frustrating it's that esri still has his "standard response" every time I try to address an issue : 

- do you have the last version? (and of course in a big company you simply don't get the last last last patch at +1minute after the release > so this will be for them the solution nr. one. > and of course it will never change anything)

.. then... 

The following question will be "can you send me a copy of your system configuration ?" (and of course they will find a way to say that your hardware it's "old" even if it does comply to all the requirements)

- I'm pretty sure you have an installation issue.. please reinstall (so you have to get another problem with your IT department)

VERY FRUSTRATING 

I'm in business since a while and every time those guys comes with the best solution for you I have an alarm bell going on.. 

* it will be a 64 bit solution (can you remember those bull****?), so better then arcmap and as always it doesnt make a little difference..

* it's 2D and 3D in one only software (but did they mention to you that you will need some extra licences? not to me).

so basically.. I LOVE QGIS ! 😍😍😍

• Like 2

On 8/30/2020 at 9:07 PM, Lurker said:

until they fix the performance issue, i dont see any advantages on ArcGIS Pro....

I still can use ArcGIS desktop for the daily task, no need to use fancy latest product

Tracing is better in ArcGIS Pro, but Cut Polygon cannot be done in ArcGIS Pro, only in ArcMap Dekstop

• Like 2

On 9/2/2020 at 1:34 AM, intertronic said:

what's really frustrating it's that esri still has his "standard response" every time I try to address an issue : 

- do you have the last version? (and of course in a big company you simply don't get the last last last patch at +1minute after the release > so this will be for them the solution nr. one. > and of course it will never change anything)

.. then... 

The following question will be "can you send me a copy of your system configuration ?" (and of course they will find a way to say that your hardware it's "old" even if it does comply to all the requirements)

- I'm pretty sure you have an installation issue.. please reinstall (so you have to get another problem with your IT department)

VERY FRUSTRATING 

I'm in business since a while and every time those guys comes with the best solution for you I have an alarm bell going on.. 

* it will be a 64 bit solution (can you remember those bull****?), so better then arcmap and as always it doesnt make a little difference..

* it's 2D and 3D in one only software (but did they mention to you that you will need some extra licences? not to me).

so basically.. I LOVE QGIS ! 😍😍😍

this response basically in every big software company, 

if you got error on windows for example, you will get pretty much same sh*t, ahahahaha

I prefer search on 3rd party forum, like stakeoverflow or such....

• Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 11:07 AM, Lurker said:

until they fix the performance issue, i dont see any advantages on ArcGIS Pro....

I still can use ArcGIS desktop for the daily task, no need to use fancy latest product

I will still remain with the desktop for a long time.
I stay until I extract the last drop.
I still have version 9.3.1 running to be able to use some tools that don't work in version 10xxx

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2020 at 7:08 PM, dexgeo said:

I will still remain with the desktop for a long time.
I stay until I extract the last drop.
I still have version 9.3.1 running to be able to use some tools that don't work in version 10xxx

what that tools, using 9.3.1 is like using windows 2000 interface, even more not like XP experience nor Windows 7