Google Earth kml to Layer

Can any1 tell me why shape file made from google earth kml shows accurate projected coordinate system while in the properties of the layer, there is no PCS (like UTM)but only GCS(Geographic coordinate system i.e. WGS84). If it is posssible then how can i learn to apply this method into other layers. Thanks in advance

if i am not mistaken, try setting the coordinate display in google earth to UTM (well the third option ,aside from decdegrees and degminsec) before converting.

If it does not work do not fret, as long as you have a GCS, you can always project to a PCS via ArcGIS toolbox: Data Management > Projections and Transformations > Project. I believe you can project it to a PCS. Remember that a GCS is a 3D surface, and a PCS is a 2D surface which came from a 3D surface, hence the term projected.

As a side note, there is no problem if you are working with datasets with the same DATUM (That is for example,all datasets are in WGS84). Just make sure you also have on-the-fly projection enabled.

hope this helps =)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well msig0000, that is quite some old post so it might not be useful for you if I post the answer. Yet IMHO, you seem confused with projected and geographic coordinate systems. Your converted shapefile is in geographic coordinate system that is always displayed in angular units (degrees for example) because IT IS NOT PROJECTED ONTO A 2D PLANE. So there is nothing wrong with your shapefile showing angular units while it is in GCS. If you project it into UTM e.g. it'll show you coordinates in meters, or any other linear measurement units, like 5613541.34551 m, 7122352.54134 m.

Hope this helps.