Mobile Mapper 6 from Magellan

rahmansunbeam

mobilemapper6_a.jpg

Hello everyone!

Today I am going to share my experience with MobileMapper 6. I am going to tell how I had a chance to scare my fellow senior friends who couldn't calibrate the simple device, how I mesmerized my teacher who knew nothing about it and my friends of course.

Calibration

When you first unpack a MM6, you'll typically find few of the following things,

-the device ,

-data cable,

-manual cd with few awful softwares,

-you can find few more cds containing MM Field software,

-and few paper describing how the device work.

-a pack full of styluses.

When you power on the device (with batteries of course) you will not see the desktop, I mean the today screen. You'll  be welcomed by a calibration screen. There are step by step instructions how you actually calibrate the screen and work with the touch screen. Do not get scared! They are just instruction, you wont break it. It is important and should be done if you want the device fully functional and well calibrated. Use the stylus comes with it, not your finger. That will ruin the calibration and the touch feature.

External memory

You cannot use more than 4 gb storage in this machine. It supports sd card. As experts say, do not use all it can support, use only the half. So use 2 gb sd card for best performance.

The Today Screen

This means the home screen, in pc we say desktop. This is a windows mobile os, so lets call it desktop. If lots of figures and writing bothers you go to start>today screen>uncheck what you don't want. Mobile Mapper Today is an essential software you need to install, like a driver. You'll find it at the cds. If not check out at the ftp site.

Well theres a lot of features in this machine, as you already learned. BUT WHERE ARE THEY? Actually this is not only a GPS tracking machine, its also a PDA (remember PDA, don't? forget it! Its a new era of tablet pc!). So you have every features a PDA can offer. But the question is how can you find them?

MM Field

PEZcKBkv_ZbsmSZ3z_3K5uWGGyvH688cFQOswRQabte2wvkryepApb2nx1dScpUkRt7h23df22HEhBCgOPzjwlbPr77vHjGGOkdRvkBO2ZHKbRdfK3BwoAbXtROCGIbgIoaJqsdk50IZQgzmYU_UcQ

You can't. You'll need a software called MobileMapper Field. Its not free. You have to buy it. BUT, if you have MM6, you have it with the machine, in its box. If don't, download it from the official ftp site and ask for the activation key.

[hide]

http://www.ashgps.com/out11/Mobile%20Mapping/MobileMapper%206/Software/

[/hide]

This software needs you to connect the device with the pc. If you are using 7 or vista, it is important   for you having Windows Mobile Device Center installed in you pc. see here :

[hide]

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=46f72df1-e46a-4a5f-a791-09f07aaa1914

[/hide]

This little software is quite simple. Have your device connected to the pc, switch it on and begin installation. You'll find all the instruction ready for you.

Arcpad 10

This is one of the most important software for all those who wants to work with ArcGIS. It has almost all the facilities ArcMap gives you, with reference to ground control points. With this software you can do thing like

-creating, editing and updating shp, lyr and many other ESRI file format,

-creating waypoints and collecting geocoded images, tagging them with existing base map,

-updating existing projects and mending flaws,

-what else do you want?

Installing this software in MM6 can be a bit hazardous. Follow these steps,

-all installation should be in device memory, not external memory,

-install sql server,

-install arc pad 10,

-then plugins,

-then all others.

Find a c/r/a/c/ked version in this forum.

When you install Acrpad 10, it integrates with the ArcGis 9x and 10 automatically. Just look for the extension in the 'tool' menu.

Other thing you should know

MM6 is pretty good GPS tracking device and PDA, but eats lots of power. Try dimming the screen if you can.

Calibrating E-compass is a hell lot of pain. Forget it!

The GNSS tool can sometime stop working or hang. Remember its WINDOWS mobile.

Sometimes hardcore Arcpad can be beaten by Field. Its natural!

So that is. Hope you enjoy your device and have fun.

wow, nice article, this is me and my admin looking for, we absolutely need the discussion forum grow bigger than sharing forum, this our goal, keep your good work rahmansunbeam

BTW, little bit curious bout the price, how much cost to buy those gps ? (mobile mapper 6) and of course the resolution , compare to other product like garmin or maybe trimble, ehehehehehe

I have share GNSS before, hem, nice to see it working in some gps handled

NOTE : please keep in mind, that you should HIDE and CODE all external links, to keep our forum safe

wow, nice article, this is me and my admin looking for, we absolutely need the discussion forum grow bigger than sharing forum, this our goal, keep your good work rahmansunbeam

BTW, little bit curious bout the price, how much cost to buy those gps ? (mobile mapper 6) and of course the resolution , compare to other product like garmin or maybe trimble, ehehehehehe

I have share GNSS before, hem, nice to see it working in some gps handled

NOTE : please keep in mind, that you should HIDE and CODE all external links, to keep our forum safe

Thanks. Good to hear you liked it. I thought the official links wont bother you. I had a chance to use Trimble once. That was one hell of a machine! :tongue: Oh! the MM6 I am using costs about 1,200 USD. Its definitely not mine, my department bought 4 of these for us.  :grin: