SarVision was created in 2000, as a spin-off from Wageningen University (WUR) in the Netherlands. SarVision pioneers the operational application of systematic satellite monitoring and mapping systems for environmental and natural resource management. Our innovative systems provide our partners with the latest maps and information on agriculture and land use, forest cover change, fire and hydrology. Our inhouse cutting edge radar technology, which « sees » through clouds, smoke and haze, enables continuous land surface monitoring, updating data on a continuous basis (bi-weekly to yearly).
SarVision contributes to numerous sustainable development efforts in tropical regions around the globe, working directly with organisations as diverse as space agencies, multilateral institutions, government agencies, local community associations, farmers, agribusiness, logging and plantation companies, nature conservation organisations, oil and gas companies, universities and insurance companies.
We are looking for a remote sensing expert to join our team. Together with SarVision experts, you will contribute to the development and implementation of operational services in the areas of agriculture, water, forest and land use mapping and monitoring. You will have the opportunity to apply and further develop your skills in:
• The processing of satellite images: pre-processing tasks, image classification using in-house and external software packages;
• GIS: quality control and validation, data analysis and presentation, integration of multiple data sources;
• IT and programming: automation of processing tasks and processing chains from data acquisition to delivery of final product.
You will mainly work in a team with SarVision remote sensing experts, but also carry out operational tasks autonomously.
• A Bachelor or Master’s Degree with main focus on Remote Sensing, Geoinformatics, Geography, Agriculture, Forestry or related area of expertise;
• Professional experience in a remote sensing company would be beneficial;
• Ability to work in complex, multi-task team situation;
• Willingness and ability to learn new skills quickly;
• Ability to work under time pressure and respect deadlines, keeping track of long term objectives;
• Ability to travel occasionally to developing countries;
• Very good English language skills, Dutch and/or Spanish advantageous.
• Remote sensing background;
• Experience in image processing for agriculture, forest, and land cover/land use applications;
• Knowledge in statistical analyses (sampling design, accuracy assessment);
• Programming skills: experience/knowledge of Python, GDAL; IDL, Matlab, R, C++, Java: advantageous
• Experience with Linux and Bash: advantageous
• Experience with QGIS, PostGIS: advantageous;
• Radar data processing and machine learning skills: advantageous.
Duration & starting date
We offer a fix-term contract of 1 year, with possibility of extension. Starting date as soon as possible.
How to apply?
Send a CV and motivation letter in English to Wilbert van Rooij ([email protected]
) before June 25th 2019.