Which Web GIS Client / GIS Server do you recommend?

demis

Hello All, 

I am new to web GIS application development and i'm looking for a good opensource web GIS client/server which provides a great selection of tools, widgets, features and functionality.

I know that Openlayers is a very popular web GIS client but i found that Mapfish, which uses Openlayers, has more tools and features. Same with Mapbender which also uses OpenLayers.

I would like some guidance regarding the best combination of opensource software that i can use for Web GIS Development: GIS client, GIS server (GeoServer or Mapserver? etc) and any other additional tools or extensions that can improve functionality (e.g. ExtJS4, GeoExt).

I am familiar with python programming, VB and a little bit of javascript. So any opensource tools that use these programming languages will be easier for me to learn.

Many Thanks

Demis

welcome to GISarea,

So, As far as I know:

openlayers:great updaes,good features,ol3 is great

leaflet:supports less features, but less size too,for some small works is great.

geoserver :good support, good plugins easy to use,

there are lots of 3d plugins for javascript, most of them are new and uncompatiable with current versions of openlayers and leaflet, some of them uses 2.5d and are not real 3d usingwebGL

• 2 years later...

If you are looking for a service that will help you analyze in detail a certain area of your interest then I would highly suggest to use LandViewer. Unlike most projects out there, LandViewer is updated on a regular basis, thus you have access to fresh and high quality satellite imagery and multiple tools for deep analysis. All the satellite data is free to use and easy to find thanks to the convenient search interface, which reduces time needed to find right image data.

Here’s a brief guide to free satellite data that can be found on LandViewer:

• Landsat 4 - archive 1982-1993
  • Landsat 5 - archive 1984-2013
  • Landsat 7 - archive since 1999
  • MODIS - archive since 2012
  • Landsat 8 - archive since 2013
  • Sentinel-1 - archive since 2014
  • Sentinel-2 - archive since 2015

An example of such imagery can be seen below:

main-qimg-96a21e359fd269432d629b17f2a9afb4

Antarctica. Feb 28, 2017 - Land Viewer | EOS