Advice on research program

maximl

Hello there,

Knowing the power of thoughts developed in communities, I thought I would ask around here for a few tips.

I am actually a student in the first year of Master degree (in France - pardon my English) in geography and geomatics. Being in a research course I have to find a subject to develop over the two years.

Having followed courses in geomorphology I had started to work on the use of SAR imagery coupled with static ground (ie GPS) measures for an earlier detection of landslides. Unfortunately, after a few months of discussion with my director and vain waiting - the sentence fell: I won't get the funds to purchase the needed imagery. If I want pictures, I will have to buy them or get them free (I can't afford the few thousand dollars cost of SAR data sets). I can use the GPS technology of the university but will probably have to beg for that!

This means I have to turn the subject around and find an other approach for my thesis. I am getting back into my lectures and research to bring up new ideas.

I was wondering if anyone here works in that field of analysis or has any tips to orientate me. Not looking for people to do my work here, but I am convinced that speaking with different people can bring up new ideas.

So don't hesitate to drop in a line!  :wink:

Thanks,

hi man , there 're many way that you can took,:

1. why no make and analist of land changes modeler using imagery of free source this can be help to many people of other country.

2. why not make carbon measurements  using NDVI, and other vegetation index with lansat, and other imagery free .

3. Other thesis theme that is factible and useful is the corridor designer and forest fragmentation...

4. develop new tools for gis user and remote sensing user more simple and versatile....

there are mor thing that can you do man.

regards 

Hi 3dbu,

Thanks for the different ideas. I have to say though: due to my expertise in geomorphology I would like to keep working on the assessment of landslides to protect inhabited areas. I have a feeling I could use land-change analysis to detect structural changes in the land. The challenge will be to take in account these deformations with only optical data. I'm also looking into rain thresholds that can trigger movements.

Anyone got advice on this more precise direction?

Hello maximl,

It would be quite impossible for anyone other than yourself to comment or suggest about your research work. I myself a student of geography and recently gone through few articles on landslide and vulnerability map. I am not quite a geology-guy but can call few thing, such as,

-you'll be needing a good dem,

-a detailed lithologic map,

-stratigraphic map and information about the soft and hard rocks,

-drainage pattern of the area,

-chief landslide triggering factors (ie- rainfall of that area of any time period),

-settlement pattern and habitat along the foothill to calculate the risk.

I hope this works for you.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...