[Help] How can i publish and share my Web Map in ArcIMS?

mostafa

connecting your PC to internet as neotoxin said, just make your computer as an internet client. it won't working to publish or serve the data to others (on internet).

the correct way is, you need to host your arcIMS on a server and make it public via domain (just like when you want to build web, like this forum). and the only way to add arcims on hosting is by rent VPS (Virtual Private Server), this is the cheapest one, cost approx 20 dollar a month, and the best is dedicated server which is really expensive (cost 200 dollar/month).

after that you need to buy domain, but its really cheap maybe 6 dollar/year

the hard things is you need to setup your server, install it with LINUX which is free or windows and then setup the server stuff like Apache or IIS and then the last thing is setup the ArcIMS on your server

good luck , MODERATOR

if you want to publish the web map on internet, you need to host it on some hosting provider

arcIMS contain server part that need to upload to server to make it online on internet

see here :

[hide]

http://help.arcgis.com/EN/arcims/10.0/mainhelp/topics/overview_start.htm

[/hide]

and

[hide]

http://help.arcgis.com/EN/arcims/10.0/mainhelp/topics/overview_quickstart.htm

[/hide]

Yeh, thank you,but i just want to understand, what is the next step about creating web map by Designer in arcims, so how to publish web map on the internet.

just a recap:

- you made map design in author

- you published the map (AXL) in arcims

- you used designer to create web map application

is that correct?

the designer is some sort of wizard to create an arcims client that consume arcims image or feature service. To make it simpler, you use designer to create website that shows maps you've created in arcims

the next thing you hv to do is to put your website online

//note that arcims services can be consumed by many clients software

okay, for instance

ArcIMS contain 2 component :

1. web server software

2. ArcIMS software

on default installation, you will install 2 component on 1 PC , and this installation will work to serving internet IF ONLY your pc is the server itself that can host websites to internet

but if your PC only ordinary PC then you need to install in different way

the first component MUST be install on real server and the second component installed on your PC that have the connection to the server

so everytime you build your Webgis data, your PC will synchronize to the server that containt the web server component

and other people can access your data by accessing your server via internet

see here for arcIMS configuration option

[hide]

http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcims/10.0/install_guide/arcims_windows_install_guide/index.html

[/hide]

regards, LORDI

OK, thank you LORD1 and neotoxin,

okay, for instance

ArcIMS contain 2 component :

1. web server software

2. ArcIMS software

on default installation, you will install 2 component on 1 PC , and this installation will work to serving internet IF ONLY your pc is the server itself that can host websites to internet

but if your PC only ordinary PC then you need to install in different way

the first component MUST be install on real server and the second component installed on your PC that have the connection to the server

so everytime you build your Webgis data, your PC will synchronize to the server that containt the web server component

and other people can access your data by accessing your server via internet

see here for arcIMS configuration option

regards, LORDI

OK, thank you LORD1, so to be able publish web map site install web server software such as apache or IIS, and ad local host name or server name to publish it.

I have been installed IIS 7 and when i want to connect to local server(mustafa),i received an error message:   

8368e308056118d34e0169bc7955a957b1e3813a60fe419736db9fefe07066026g.jpg

so, i have installed ArcIMS Web ADF for Java and then create a new web site and deployed it,see this pics

9cbcfb21e8c4e0e2548feb4ea36d58633d756a029a6b6dfad5b26986bd3912856g.jpg

e68be0866956d3563d487cc4e7281de37913df3b3be9e24f49af9006381e4ba66g.jpg

758e7b895bea0ef3ca94d43cca9ebe4aa6130d94ce5e2b9e6357c54c1ca70fa96g.jpg

49f73b8c220c05d3a2225c5b4ff7bb34b301924fb5e3e93d7454b43d60ed21ca6g.jpg

49f73b8c220c05d3a2225c5b4ff7bb34b301924fb5e3e93d7454b43d60ed21ca6g.jpg

280b806871a1259fd7edb984dbe8e0d5ce1cf35ef0c5b9c397c69154ad9845a96g.jpg

604ec274f19c31eb09cafb49c401f3fe3d67a077c5717b72074676568fc0bf176g.jpg

b246cd69b06f1156a0cc1bfd3308ea03721188f266ebc12756024c7050f192bf6g.jpg

Finally, what can i do to open my web site in any other pc, and what can i do with IIS 7 to publish my web map. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

Disclaimer: The last ArcIMS I use was v9.3, so any  comments from me might not be correct

Dear Mostafa, please answer these few questions:

1) What version of ArcIMS are you using?

2) What servlet that you use for ArcIMS?

You managed to view the map because your ArcIMS is using its internal webserver (provided by the servlet) - that's is why it is using port 8093 intead of port 80 as any webserver would normally use.

To make it usable with IIS, you need connectors or redirectors and configure it correctly for your particular servlet

Disclaimer: The last ArcIMS I use was v9.3, so any  comments from me might not be correct

Dear Mostafa, please answer these few questions:

1) What version of ArcIMS are you using?

2) What servlet that you use for ArcIMS?

You managed to view the map because your ArcIMS is using its internal webserver (provided by the servlet) - that's is why it is using port 8093 intead of port 80 as any webserver would normally use.

To make it usable with IIS, you need connectors or redirectors and configure it correctly for your particular servlet

OK, thank you very much neotoxi,

i have ArcIMS 9.3 with servlet 5.0

thank you again

lol you guys.. I'm flattered  :laugh:

Mostafa:

Installing ArcIMS is not as easy as other software would be (setup-> next-Next-Finish). ArcIMS requires some preinstall configuration and you must make sure every pre install requirements works prior to the ArcIMS installation.

ESRI knowledgebase has the resources and information needed for the preinstall

http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=31218

Please note that you must use the exact version of webserver, servlets and JDK/JRE as laid out in the articles. Uses of different version may produce error

My general rules on ArcIMS installation:

(1) Plan what type of webserver, servlets and JDK/JRE that you going to use and make sure they are supported or at least you can find the preinstall arcticle in link above

(2) Make sure the servlet connector works with the webserver before proceeding with ArcIMS Installation

(3) Install ArcIMS and test it out

During my day with ArcIMS, i usually use Tomcat as the servlet with IIS. Long ago it was very (and I mean) very hard to configure the preinstall but as time goes by I believe it is much easier nowadays.

hem, ok, let me try this

since the error related to microsoft web administration,

are you using win XP and installing IIS 7 on it ?

OK, yes, i am using win xp sp3 and IIS 7 manger, but Arcims using iis 6 component that come from win xp, and i am using servlet 5.0. but i want to say is program IIS 7 manger will publish my web map in the internet except my local pc, if it will work done????

thank you

lol you guys.. I'm flattered  :laugh:

Mostafa:

Installing ArcIMS is not as easy as other software would be (setup-> next-Next-Finish). ArcIMS requires some preinstall configuration and you must make sure every pre install requirements works prior to the ArcIMS installation.

ESRI knowledgebase has the resources and information needed for the preinstall

http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=31218

Please note that you must use the exact version of webserver, servlets and JDK/JRE as laid out in the articles. Uses of different version may produce error

My general rules on ArcIMS installation:

(1) Plan what type of webserver, servlets and JDK/JRE that you going to use and make sure they are supported or at least you can find the preinstall arcticle in link above

(2) Make sure the servlet connector works with the webserver before proceeding with ArcIMS Installation

(3) Install ArcIMS and test it out

During my day with ArcIMS, i usually use Tomcat as the servlet with IIS. Long ago it was very (and I mean) very hard to configure the preinstall but as time goes by I believe it is much easier nowadays.

I have not any problem with arcims installation, i need only instructions for how to publish web map site in the internet, after create a new web by ArcIMS Web ADF for Java and deployed it, but i can not load (URL) in other PC, so my Q is, what is the instructions to publish web map on the internet with any other pc allover the world.

I have not any problem with arcims installation, i need only instructions for how to publish web map site in the internet, after create a new web by ArcIMS Web ADF for Java and deployed it, but i can not load (URL) in other PC, so my Q is, what is the instructions to publish web map on the internet with any other pc allover the world.

Actually, I think  something is not right with your arcims installation since you can only run it on servletexec internal webserver. This could be the culprit of you problem as the internal webserver might not accessible other than from localhost (same machine) or firewall may have blocked the port used by the internal webserver (8093).

Try uninstalling arcims and reinstalling it properly - with proper preinstall procedure as laid out in ESRI knowldgebase link I posted earlier.

Btw, I assume your OS is either  Windows 7 or Windows server 2008, yes?

Actually, I think  something is not right with your arcims installation since you can only run it on servletexec internal webserver. This could be the culprit of you problem as the internal webserver might not accessible other than from localhost (same machine) or firewall may have blocked the port used by the internal webserver (8093).

Try uninstalling arcims and reinstalling it properly - with proper preinstall procedure as laid out in ESRI knowldgebase link I posted earlier.

Btw, I assume your OS is either  Windows 7 or Windows server 2008, yes?

All right, thank you neotoxin , i will uninstall arcims and then re installing it in win 7 or win server, because i tiered with this problem and i want to share my first work in ArcIMS on the internet, first i will share here in our forum and then my friends.

Win Server 2008 (IIS7) is good  :cool:

This time around, instead of ServletExec, use Tomcat 6 instead. It'll be easier to configure during post install

Check this Post Installation guidelines

According to that articles

(1) You must have a Web server and Servlet Engine installed and operational before you can configure them for ArcIMS. For information on setting up your Web server and Servlet Engine, visit the ESRI Support Web site and search for knowledge base document 31218.

(2) After you have installed your Web server and Servlet Engine, you must verify that they are communicating with each other. To verify that your Web server and Servlet Engine are communicating, see Verify your servlet engine is working. If your Web server and Servlet Engine do not appear to be successfully communicating with each other, see your Servlet Engine's Web site for further information.

(3)Automated Web server - Servlet Engine configuration is provided for the following:

- Apache 2.2x with Tomcat 6.0x

- IIS with Tomcat 6.0.x <--- You  WILL use this  :cheesy:

• 3 weeks later...

Win Server 2008 (IIS7) is good  :cool:

This time around, instead of ServletExec, use Tomcat 6 instead. It'll be easier to configure during post install

Check this Post Installation guidelines

According to that articles

(1) You must have a Web server and Servlet Engine installed and operational before you can configure them for ArcIMS. For information on setting up your Web server and Servlet Engine, visit the ESRI Support Web site and search for knowledge base document 31218.

(2) After you have installed your Web server and Servlet Engine, you must verify that they are communicating with each other. To verify that your Web server and Servlet Engine are communicating, see Verify your servlet engine is working. If your Web server and Servlet Engine do not appear to be successfully communicating with each other, see your Servlet Engine's Web site for further information.

(3)Automated Web server - Servlet Engine configuration is provided for the following:

- Apache 2.2x with Tomcat 6.0x

- IIS with Tomcat 6.0.x <--- You  WILL use this  :cheesy:

Hi neotoxin again,

after downloading win server 2008 and burned it (iso) file on DVD Disk , and restart my PC to setup it the OS did not loading boot in DVD, heyhahahaha........ :undecided: :undecided:,i think the problem might be ISO file, boot file does not exist.

any way, i have installed windows 7 , so now i have 2 OS win 7 , one for arcgis desktop , second for arcims 9.3 , so i followed all steps from ESRI article that you post link here, (http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=35515), to setup arcims 9.3 with tocat 6 and iis, but i can not understand what can i do with step 5(Configure Tomcat for IIS) and i have a problem with step 8 (Verify IIS and Tomcat) for testing it,A page 'Hello World' does not test successful.  

Hi neotoxin again,

after downloading win server 2008 and burned it (iso) file on DVD Disk , and restart my PC to setup it the OS did not loading boot in DVD, heyhahahaha........ :undecided: :undecided:,i think the problem might be ISO file, boot file does not exist.

any way, i have installed windows 7 , so now i have 2 OS win 7 , one for arcgis desktop , second for arcims 9.3 , so i followed all steps from ESRI article that you post link here, (http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=35515), to setup arcims 9.3 with tocat 6 and iis, but i can not understand what can i do with step 5(Configure Tomcat for IIS) and i have a problem with step 8 (Verify IIS and Tomcat) for testing it,A page 'Hello World' does not test successful.  

Hi,

Step 5 is ISAPI redirector configuration for tomcat on IIS7. Basically it is done so that any request to IIS that requires tomcat to process, will be redirected to tomcat.

Step 8 requires you to install tomcat examples during tomcat installation (when you intsall tomcat, choose custom and put checkmark on exmaples). Only then you have the hello world example.