Desperate high schooler here trying to figure out how to do a problem for a science competition, help would be much appreciated

amonaroll

I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong places but for some reason I cannot figure out how to do this problem:

Given information characterizing the extinction coefficient of a layer of dust in the atmosphere and the observed reduction in outgoing radiation, calculate the thickness of the dust layer.

I think it wants me to calculate Aerosol Optical Depth but I don't know how I would use an extinction coefficient and outgoing radiation. The competition in a couple days, if someone could explain it and perhaps provide an example that would be awesome!!!

in remote sensing, this is called visibility measurement and this is a part of Physical based Atmospheric Correction, 

Visibility ( in meteorological range/depth) could be measured using this equation 

V = 3.912 / B , where V = visibility (in kilometers) and B = visible Extinction coefficient, 

Just my 5 cent, 

• Like 2

in remote sensing, this is called visibility measurement and this is a part of Physical based Atmospheric Correction,

Visibility ( in meteorological range/depth) could be measured using this equation

V = 3.912 / B , where V = visibility (in kilometers) and B = visible Extinction coefficient,

Just my 5 cent,

Thank you! But how is the reduced outgoing radiation used? Edited by amonaroll