Lost View Settings in ArcScene and ArcGlobe 10.2.2

Capricorn

Hi people,

Recently I lost my View Settings in ArcScene and ArcGlobe 10.2.2.

When I click on menu View -> View Settings nothing shows, only an error sound.

Does anyone knows what could be the problem and how to reset View settings?

Some people asked the same question on Internet, but no answer.

This happens even when I open empty scenes.

hem, strange, actually, crashing UI could be anything in ArcGIS,

display driver, incompatible extension, broken program, etc

have you try to reinstall / repair it ?

and unload all extension for arcgis?

just my experience, sometime Arcgis get really annoying with so many broken things :D

Thanks for trying to help me Lurker.

I'll try to track which nVidia drivers I had installed with the last successfull 3D project.

If it doesnt help, then I will repair ArcGIS installation.

I don't have any external extensions installed.

Now I tried it in my firm on very slow x86 PC and that window works (with never updatet nVidia drivers).

Also I tried it on my ASUS notebook I use for presentations and it is even worse. I can't load any ArcGIS application (ArcMap, ArcScene, ArcGlobe, ArcCatalog) and I get the message:

The application failed to start because it could not find or load the QT platform plugin 'Windows'.

I'm pretty sure this massage is a result of some new Windows updates, because there is no any message connected with ArcGIS for Desktop and QT on intire Internet.

Edited by Capricorn
  • Like 1

I use Win7 SP1 x64 (with all the updates installed).

It would help to know which DLL is behing "View Settings", to track it with Dependancy Walker.

Talking about notebook and QT problem, I realy don't know where ArcGIS for Desktop looks for it, or where in system it installed it's support files.

After I uninstalled and again installed ArcGIS on my notebook, I gave up and this morning I decided to format disk and install everything from scratch. Now at least I know that ArcGIS for Desktop is QT dependent, although I never installed QT developer tools myself :) .

If someone find out how to solve the problem from the title (looks like everything else works but this window), please let me know.

I believe it is something very stupid and obvious, but I don't know where to start looking for. Seems like it has nothing to do with nVidia drivers, because I did clean install of all of them I already had on my PC.

reformat already, :unsure:

Im sorry to hear that

you could investigate this start in error log on arcgis or something related to Qt in windows event viewer,

That is a problem. Windows Event Viewer didn't  write any event about it. I forgot about ArcGIS logs. Where are they?

My notebook is for my presentations and testing anyway (not so full of installed applications), but my home PC is another story. It is full of applications I use every day (architectural, civil and mechanical CADD, DCC applications, GIS applications and tools, web servers and web design tools ...). Reformatting and getting into current state would probably take me 10 days :)

Edited by Capricorn
  • Like 1

My home PC has no this directory. They say it is created with the first ArcGIS crash.

http://support.esri.com/de/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40370

I really have never had a crash on ArcGIS Desktop or Server for many years. It is just lately a window that doesn't open with no message, only a beep sound. I don't see anything else that doesn't work, it just irritates me. I tried to track this operation with Dependency Walker but it gives misleading results. The next idea is to try with Sysinternals Suite and compare saved logs from my firm PC (although x86) an home PC.

I really appreciate your time and efforts to help me solve problem.

BTW, this is why I love this forum - it is not only a place for begging for new software, but also discussion about how to use it and how to solve real geospatial situations.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 9/25/2015 at 3:53 PM, Capricorn said:

Finally I solved the "View Settings" problem :)

Somehow i had unregistered ocx.

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcGIS\ThirdParty\bin\HorizonDial.ocx" solved the problem.

Of course, regsvr32 is the one in c:\Windows\SysWOW64\

Hi Capricorn, I´ve seen your answer and I want to ask you if it is possible you could help me to solve this error. How is the process to fix this problem? Thank you so much