How to convert Garmin IMG file into shapefile format

msig0000

Hi all,

Could anyone tell  me how to convert unlocked garmin img file into shapefile

N.B. I tried Gpsmapedit but this fails when i press OK to export (see attached image)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdrig7bbztre49p/gpsmapedit.png?dl=0

Thanks in advance

Edited by msig0000

Qlandkarte GT is the successor to Qlandkarte. It supports Geotiff, has a much more advanced map viewer (2d/3d), and can read Garmin Typ files.

QLandkarte GT is the ultimate outdoor aficionado's tool. It supports GPS maps in GeoTiff format as well as Garmin's img vector map format. Additional it is the PC side front end to QLandkarte M, a moving map application for mobile devices. And it fills the gap Garmin leaves in refusing to support Linux. QLandkarte GT is the proof that writing portable applications for Unix, Windows and OSX is feasible with a minimum of overhead. No excuses!

QLandkarte GT does replace the original QLandkarte with a much more flexible architecture. It's not limited to a map format or device. Thus if you think your Magellan GPS or other should be supported, join the team.

Additionally it is a front end to the GDAL tools, to make georeferencing scanned maps feasible for the normal user. Compared to similar tools like QGis, it's target users are more on the consumer side than on the scientific one. QLandkarte GT might not let you select every possible feature of the GDAL tools, but it will simplify their use to the demands of most users.(source www.qlandkarte.org as of 08 December 2008)

QLandkarte cannot read Garmin .img files directly. You need a .tdb file (mkgmap option --tdbfile) to open .img files.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi msig0000,

I just have look at your image that to put on Dropbox.

First thinks that I can see is that you have multiples *.img files. My point of view is that you have to separate them in order to get only one displayed within you viewer.

I say that because your export windows schema from GPSMapEdit looks empty. So maybe the problem is coming from there.

Have look on mine.

v2xke0.jpg

Note: If you are using the version bring by bigears then you will have this blank schema.

;)

darksabersan.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi 

Garmin NT Maps can not be converted into a shapefile, there is no software till date that can do this.

Non NT old Garmin maps can be converted by first unlocking the map and the by using GPS Mapedit to same in Polish Format.

After that you can convert into Shapefile using registered version of GPS Mapedit.

Stuart

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/29/2016 at 3:45 PM, stuart1974 said:

Hi 

Garmin NT Maps can not be converted into a shapefile, there is no software till date that can do this.

Non NT old Garmin maps can be converted by first unlocking the map and the by using GPS Mapedit to same in Polish Format.

After that you can convert into Shapefile using registered version of GPS Mapedit.

Stuart

You can actually convert NT into non-NT using GMapTool.

First, you split the img file into subfiles, the result would be a GMP format.
With the help of THIS TOOL, then you can extract the GMP into five type of subfiles (.LBL, .NET, .NOD, .RGN and .TRE).
Recompile those five subfiles into non-NT IMG file with GMapTool (use join tab).

Using GPSMapedit you can save the non-NT IMG into polish format.
And finally convert it into shapefile either using registered version of GPSMapedit or Global Mapper.

Edited by upay82
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/11/2017 at 10:28 PM, aryarakesh_16 said:

Dear upay82, Is your method really works.. I tried but failed.. Can u please share snapshot for Garmin NT format

It does really work. You probably missed one step or two during the process.
One method you can do to check whether the file is NT or non-NT is by using GPSMapEdit, because it won't open NT format otherwise it will.

Here I show you the snapshot when I try to open an NT format file in GPSMapEdit.

Spoiler

10.fw_zpsdr9oz9ji.png

Here is the same file with a non-NT format.

Spoiler

1.fw_zpsf6uwqmzp.png

OK, since I cannot edit my previous post, I am going to re-explain the procedures here. I enclose some snapshots for the clarity.

1. Open the GMAP Tool
  2. Add the NT formatted img file/s (in my case, filename is 62320070.img) 
    Spoiler

If we click info button, we'll see this.

2.fw_zpsw4xchzsw.png

3. Go to Split tab and create subfiles. Click Split All
    Spoiler

The result is a file with GMP extension.

3.fw_zpshw2wlxaw.png

4. Download Garmin-GMP-extractor.exe tool and then put it in the same folder with your working files.
  5. Drag the GMP file into the Garmin GMP extractor tools. It will explod/extract the GMP fiel into five type of subfiles (.LBL, .NET, .NOD, .RGN and .TRE)
    Spoiler

4.fw_zpslkxkxwgg.png

5.fw_zps71fuuid0.png

6. Back to GMAPTool. Add those subfiles.
    Spoiler

6.fw_zpse0b0au7v.png

7. Go to Join tab. Name the output file and directory. We can give mapset name. And the click Join all
    Spoiler

Here is the log of the process

7.fw_zpsbwtunlwy.png

8. FINALLY, the result is another img file with non-NT format. If you watch closely there is a slight difference of filesize between both files. 
    Spoiler

8.fw_zpsshpruk3s.png

If click info button in GMAP tools, here is what we see.

11.fw_zps5cgfyuc5.png

Edited by upay82
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2017 at 1:42 AM, aryarakesh_16 said:

Thank You Upay82 for detailed process, I am still in process to get success...

I am not able to convert it to GMP file.. may be some particular version is required? 

I am working on gumsupp.img file...  

I may be missing some step :)

Would you please tell me where you get the gumsupp.img file from?

I would like to test it myself. I wonder if I'll get the same problem or not. :D

• 1 month later...

Dear UPay82,

I have exactly able to do as you mentioned in the snapshots... But not able to open in GPSMapEdit2.1(Licensed). Do you have some methods to open the same...

Error Below, while opening in GPSMapEdit2.1-

Loading data from file 'C:\Users\Map\GarminT1\proces-gmp-output\merge\India11.img'...
* Block size:    4096
* Updated:    2017/11
*** Loading sub-map: 'I0521ED2'...
* Defined:     NET
* Defined:     NOD
* Generated:    
* Sorting:       Western European
WARNING: Unexpected format of input data. Text coding 11-bit per symbol is not supported.
WARNING: MAPSOURC.MPS - (Not a map, just special Garmin data)
ERROR: Loading has terminated.
2 warning(s).
Load time is 0.01 s.

Thanks.....

• 2 months later...

Hi upay82,

I try do the way you give, but i just get this

====================================================================
Reading file C:/Amap/15728640.img.

File:        C:/Amap/15728640.img, length 12976128
Header:       20.02.2018 06:12:50, DSKIMG, XOR 00, V 0.00, Ms 0
Mapset:       KL

Map              length s-f  CP    prio  PID   FID  name
 I0F00000 NT   12959933  1  1252  24   S

End.

====================================================================

Split all maps.
Input file: C:/Amap/15728640.img.
Reading file C:/Amap/15728640.img.
Output path: C:/Amap
Using original file C:/Amap/15728640.img for mapset.
Write file mapset.mp
Write file mapset.tdb
Write file mapset.mdx
Running compiler for preview map compilation.
""cgpsmapper.exe" -l "C:/Amap/mapset.mp""

Edited by lizan