Offset points vertical to a linear feature class

In the last few months I am experimenting with ArcGIS in order to create a synthesis of tools in model builder for my postgraduate thesis. The problem I am facing for a long time now is the following:

I have one (or more it doesn't matter) linear objects (that represent faults) and with the help of "create routes" and "make route event layer" tools I place points on it (representing epicenters of an earthquake). I want to achieve a relocation (or offsetting) of all these points vertically to the trend-line of the linear feature I create with the "smooth line" tool. The only thing I have managed till now is a relocation by changing a small script I found in a site (gis stackexchange).

def Shift_XY_Coordinates(shape, x, y):

value = distance

point = shape.getPart(0)

point.X = x + value

point.Y = y + value

return point

with the expression

Shift_XY_Coordinates(!shape!, !POINT_X!, !POINT_Y!)

I want to offset the points by 10 km. How am I supposed to add the correct distance every time when the angle of the linear feature class may be different every time? At the example I am using the trend line has an angle of 45 degrees and when I tried 

def Shift_XY_Coordinates(shape, x, y):
 value = 10000
 point = shape.getPart(0)
 point.X = math.sin(45)*value + x
 point.Y = math.cos(45)*value + y
 return point

it worked but only for this specific angle. Is there a way to relate the angle of the trendline with the angle that the user will input every time at the script? Or is there a probably easier way to achieve this relocation? Thank you very much and I appreciate any help. I also attach a picture of my problem. 
FEi96.jpg