Generate Shortest-Most Economic Route (path) in ArcGIS 10.1

Arshadjkc

Hi All,

I'm a final year student at the University of Mauritius.

I am doing my research project on "how to find the shortest possible route between 2 areas of the Island of Mauritius using GIS"

I am rather new to GIS but from what i have read, this can be done.

What i have is ArcGIS 10.1 and a set of Aerial Imagery (provided by the University) which is in some hundreds of tiles of .ecw , .ers and .eww

What I have been able to do by now is to load these tiles in ArcCatalog 10.1.

According to my supervisor, I should be diving the different portions of land, between those 2 areas depending upon their type of use and their conversion costs to roads...only the ArcGIS will be able to output a possible shortest route between these 2 points.

Can you people help me on how to proceed, or if its asking too much, can you direct me to tutorials of what i have do do.

From what i have seen on previous threads here, you people are very cooperaing, so please guys HELP!!!

I have only 6 weeks left.

Thanks

6 week? hmm.

The sorcery of finding nearest neighbor/shortest path is subjected to a topic called 'Computational Geometry'. In AG you'll need to use network analyst. But before that you'll need all the routes in vector format, not aerial photo. You'll also need a good network dataset, and for that a good amount of field work.

Best o' luck! :)

• Like 2

I do have network analyst, but will it be able to choose whether to generate a new road through:

• sugar-cane fields,
  • mountainous regions,
  • existing road
  • residential agglomearations
  • forests

if i use polylines and polygons to distinguish between them (so that the new route is most economic).

Using network analyst can help you when you have some roads between, what if there is no road or just one ?

1 - create a cost surface with modeling different criteria influencing the cost

2 - using distance toolset in spatial analyst seems to be helpful (extracting new roads is possible by it)

goodluck

Thanks Yousef2233....just what i needed!!!