Gatewing - Photogrametry Tech

xsaladdaysx

Hi all,

i just wanna share information about Photogrametry Technology :)

Imagine being able to achieve highly accurate mapping, whenever and wherever needed, even in less than favourable weather conditions (wind, light rain, cloud cover) where conventional photogrammetry may not be possible, while keeping both feet safely on the ground. All this is now available at a reasonable price.

The X100 is the result of a thorough and multidisciplinary engineering process. It has been designed with two main goals in mind and with due consideration for the demanding field worker. It carries a camera payload, flies in a straight and regular scan pattern and returns to the operator in a safe and shock-free manner. It completes the job under a wide range of weather and environmental conditions. It allows for day-to-day handling and intensive use, just like any other surveying device. We conceived the X100 not merely as an unmanned aircraft, but as a comprehensive tool! Through its optimized and unparalleled aerodynamic design, cleverly engineered body structure and carefully chosen materials, the X100 meets all the requirements perfectly

The X100 is aimed at users needing extremely accurate and fast results. The point cloud density and accuracy that can be obtained is comparable to LiDAR results with a planimetric accuracy (XY plane) of 5 cm and a height accuracy (Z axis) of 10 cm at default altitude. Our software also supports the import of Ground Control Points (GCPs) which results in highly accurate georeferencing.

• Like 2

Just iamgine you forked out all that money on that drone then it was stolen before your eyes?

GPS-spoofing-attack-hacks-drones

Read on:

"Rambo Tribble writes

"The BBC is reporting that researchers from the University of Texas at Austin managed to hack an experimental drone by spoofing GPS signals. Theoretically, this would allow the hackers to direct the drone to coordinates of their choosing. 'The spoofed drone used an unencrypted GPS signal, which is normally used by civilian planes, says Noel Sharkey, co-founder of the International Committee for Robot Arms Control. "It's easy to spoof an unencrypted drone. Anybody technically skilled could do this - it would cost them some £700 for the equipment and that's it," he told BBC News. "It's very dangerous - if a drone is being directed somewhere using its GPS, [a spoofer] can make it think it's somewhere else and make it crash into a building, or crash somewhere else, or just steal it and fill it with explosives and direct somewhere. But the big worry is — it also means that it wouldn't be too hard for [a very skilled person] to work out how to un-encrypt military drones and spoof them, and that could be extremely dangerous because they could turn them on the wrong people."

Source:

http://www.bbc.com/n...nology-18643134

http://tech.slashdot...ck-hacks-drones

Edited by spazzle

• 2 months later...

Hi Spazzle,

Where do you get that price from?

Unfortunately for a Gatewing I think you have to multiply that price estimate by a factor of 10. :o

It is not a cheapy cheap UAV.

I think currently cheapest options are:

1. Build your own DIY Drones with Ardupilot following the conservationdrones.org hardware recipe,

2. SwingletCam from SenseFly

3. Cropcam

Very grateful iof people could list nay other options or prefences they have for cheap drones.

Cheers

Free World Maps

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I bought the winglet Sensefly, it work great, but i have problems with the mosaic. I use the program to join images, but the mosaic isnt perfect.

the images dont work in ERDAS. Today i use PTGui.

The Photoscan it is a great option to do DTM, but the final image are distorced by DTM (ORthomosaic).

Does Somebody know the good option to mosaic ?

• 3 weeks later...

AIBOTIX

Aibot X6

Are you ready for the next generation of UAV drones?

apg-8cf4497f.jpg

The Aibot X6 is an ultra-modern air robot which is easy to fly and has a high degree of robotics; an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) unique to its kind. The intelligent, flying board has been developed with the latest multi-rotor technology. The multicopter Aibot X6 is controlled remotely, via a standard Tablet-PC.

Check this site out

http://www.aibotix.com/

http://www.aibotix.com/aibot-x6.html

Cost approx £20,000 depedning on requirements

Edited by spazzle

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I am using the HawkEye UAS, some of you might have seen it on display at the ESRI user conference. Here is a short youtube clip,

This flight was done with a DIYDrones autopilot in a Skywalker UAV with a 24 mpix camera,

http://youtu.be/RPjUo-vsKBI

The following video will have more information on the HawkEye operations and deliverables,

http://youtu.be/_Oj9dJmJ8qA

Edited by [email protected]

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

I had, last year the occasion to use a Gatewing x100 and honestly, it was a fantastic experience.
OK... It's expensive. Around 15.000 €. Without, the software and the computer to process the end result.
OK... it can not fly longer. But it depend of the altitude and the temperature and I was at 2000 meters, 35° and fly only 30 min.

But, it easy to install (36kg, suitcase and Ramp) and it's more efficient in comparison with an Aeryon Scout micro-UAV™.

i.e: My friend launch the helicopter but it fall dow due to a local tornado!!!

vx5u.png

The end result below is compute with Agisoft Photoscan Pro that cost three times less than the Trimble Image Processing software.

http://uas.trimble.com/image-processing#collection-3

and it bring you an amazing result with 3 cm/pixels in a short time.

http://www.gisarea.com/topic/3137-agisoft-suite-software-x32-x64/?hl=agisoft

uc8a.png

This is my personal point of view and of course we can chat a long time with this topic.

;)

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Hello folks, here we are in 2017! And Ive just had an offer to buy a Gatewing X100 brand NEW for dirty cheap (seller got in an auction, does not understand what it is).

Now that we are "living the dream" with so many drone options, does it still make sense to buy one for a couple thousand?

I'm mostly worried about:

1. Software (does it come with it? can I use modern mission planners such as DroneDeploy? and process imagens using Pix4D or Photoscan?)

2. Will I be able to fly other (more modern) cameras? How does this work?

Any other insight is welcome XD

cheers

Edited by geot7

lucky you geot7

1. because the purpose of Gatewing X100 is for remote sensing, I think not a problem you use anykind of drone software IMHO

include software or not, its depend on the previous buyer i think, what kind of packages he/she bought

2. there are some requirement for using camera I think, in general, the weight of the camera and holder compatibility, and interface maybe, you should check on the manual for this

Hi Lurker, thank you for your answer.

Yes, my plan is to use it for remote sensing. I'm just worried about being able to really fly it and get results.

We now actually use two M100. However, it is not suitable for larger areas. So, a fixed wing could give us more range, even if it costs resolution, in a first moment. And, maybe, a LIDAR-like DEM as promised by Gatewing.

As mentioned, the owner bought it at an auction and never used or know anything about it.

This brings me to the question: Is this a full solution (everything inside the case) and, if not, will I be able to use 3rd part applications to process the data? Even if using the provided camera...

One other thing. Is the catapult for launching really necessary? I don't think it comes with it...

As you see, it could be a good deal or just a wast of $. Drones evolve so fast. It's like the times when PCs become accessible. A closed solution will become outdated fast...

Here's a picture the seller texted me.

cheers

IMG_3039_zpsrojvl8du.jpg

IMG_3038_zps8adlsfyb.jpg

IMG_3040_zpsgla9jnie.jpg

Edited by geot7
add pics

What about image processing softwares ?

Drones/UAV sistems produce a large volume of information (optical images, LIDAR, etc).

For example, how do you extract all the elements from a large orthomosaic over an urban area or a less complex landscape (forest & built up areas) ?

Manual vectorization or semi/automatic vectorization ?

:blink:

On 2017-5-27 at 6:29 AM, Arhanghelul said:

What about image processing softwares ?

Drones/UAV sistems produce a large volume of information (optical images, LIDAR, etc).

For example, how do you extract all the elements from a large orthomosaic over an urban area or a less complex landscape (forest & built up areas) ?

Manual vectorization or semi/automatic vectorization ?

What this have to do with the question above? :rolleyes: I mean, my worries are about generating the ortomosaic in the first place.

But answering, semi-automatic for me when vectorizing. And lots of image processing either.

Edited by geot7
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, geot7 said:

What this have to do with the question above? :rolleyes: I mean, my worries are about generating the ortomosaic in the first place.

But answering, semi-automatic for me when vectorizing. And lots of image processing either.

Yes, I know that my question has no connection to your topic.

But i was curious to know: what methods/softwares do you use for semi-automatic/vectorizing and image post-processing ?