Free Large file Hosting

group5e

Hello,

I was wondering what would be a good service to use for free file hosting. I have some large files I want to put up and share with the GIS community. I want to start giving something back to this website that has given me so much. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

group5e

• Like 4

You can use Multiupload. It's a single place to upload and mirror to nine different host at once. For big file I think of any cloud (ie - adrive.com) make more sense. Recent changes in American internet regulations are making the whole content sharing more challenging than ever. After Megaupload, all of them running mad! Avoid popular file sharing sites like Mediafire, use others you haven't heard before (avoiding phishing and frauds :wink: ).

• Like 2

hello, this is interesting topic

we now must think reliable file sharing, since many take down in the past (remember bout megaupload and the rest)

maybe someone can share bout the experience on file sharing and decide the best file sharing and we can choose it as our unofficial mirror

just my 2 cent

regards,

• Like 2

I probably should have said in my last post that I am very familiar with most clouds as well as sharing sites like Mediafire or Uploading.com. I'm also aware of google drive and dropbox. The problem is that they have limited storage capacity and are limited in file sizes. This means that files need to be split into many archives and that makes things "unpleasant" for everyone involved. Even if there was a secure FTP connection site...

I do like the idea posed by lurker. File sharing is extremel unreliable and keeping files (even encrypted) in any cloud service can put uploaders and downloaders at risk. Again, I wonder if secure FTP is the way to go.... Something password protected... If anyone has a private FTP setup and is interested :).

• Like 2

hello rahman

correct , most reliable storage would be buy dedicated server, like or friend in LAVTeam, to ensure all files not missing

but, compare to personal hosting, dedicated server far more expensive, approx 100 - 200 dollars/month

and by saving the file to our server, we need to find best offshore hosting, not in US, since their DMCA law, maybe like Russian server will be the nice choice

regards,

• Like 2

• 1 year later...