RandomForest

hariasa

Hi,

Does anyone know how to perform a RandomForest classification? Or which programs support it? Are there example scripts for R? Or plugins for ERDAS, ENVI or something?

I use shapefiles for training areas and tif files for the actual data to be classified.

All help would be awesome.

Thanks,

-hariasa

http://www.google.com.ni/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CHkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.webchem.science.ru.nl%2FPRiNS%2FrF.pdf&ei=WCGoT7KLIImu9ASm6fzBAw&usg=AFQjCNFI8epM3ssKUuH3yuOuOq9yZFzrxw

may be usefull

• 1 month later...

Hi

you can run randomforest in R , using the randomForest library or alternatively if you prefer you can download the rattle GUI (rattle.togaware.com), your shapefile containing your training data should have the values from your tiff file extracted then you can use the dbf file in rattle. there is a tutorial on the togaware webpage. There is also a library that creates maps based on your RF analysis called modelmap

Recently, I came across a stand alone IDL based remote sensing software called EnMAP-Box  that allows you to carry out a random forest classification/regression , you check out the software at Environmental Mapping and Analysis Program

Documentation also on the website

The paper below explains the use of the software

imageRF – A user-oriented implementation for remote sensing image analysis with Random Forests

Environmental Modelling & Software, Volume 35, July 2012, Pages 192-193

Björn Waske, Sebastian van der Linden, Carsten Oldenburg, Benjamin Jakimow, Andreas Rabe, Patrick Hostert

or you can try--> openmodeller.sourceforge.net

Thanks

@ sijooss

Feature space based classification are rather simplistic when compared to ensemble methods like random forest, boosting or bagging. A number of recent multispectral and hyperspectral studies have confirmed this. Due to the nature of the random  forest , the pixel values are considered are number of times as a result of the bootstrapping aggregation, making the algorithm very robust and accurate.  Additionally, by considering different variables (i.e bands) for creating the trees, an additionally measure of randomness is introduced. hence the more diversity thta is introduced into the algorithm the more powerful it becomes.

Thanks

Eventually, I performed the RandomForest method with R. It was quite easy to program, with the help of a few tutorials on the R help. I have not tried EnMAP yet, I will do so now and post here how it went. Having a lot of variables in R with very big imagery does not always go well... sometimes randomforest in R 'forgets' to classify certain things the first time. It's also quite RAM intensive, so if anyone else wants to do it, you need at least 4 GB of RAM to do a decent random forest classification with R for a decent image.

Thanks nomlas for your help! +1