Universal Map Downloader and how to compress its big combined BMP file result

moed_dev

Hi Guys..  :grin:

This is not my field, so I need your advise.

I'm using UMD to download an area in Sumatera island. After completing the download and combining those ten-thousands tiles, I got this bloody 2Gigs BMP file. ArcCatalog took almost an hour to build the pyramid so that I can see the result.

I don't think BMP is good format to keep, so I need your advise what tools I can use to convert and compress this BMP file and what kind of file extension should be good in further GIS file processing.

Thank you and regards,

M.

holly shit, 2 GB data, what your purpose download such amount of data ?

I wonder how much time finishing those download task, ahahahaha, man that's a lot of effort :P

for GIS processing, I think depend on your software, RAW data for ENVI or IMG for ERDAS would do the job

regards, LurkeR

hi  Lurker, thanks for the hints,

a friend of mine need the latest image of an area for study purposes. I see that GoogEarth/GeoEye recently updated their image in that area dated June 2010. Simply use the map downloader and set the zoom factor to 20 and leave it 15 hours to complete  :laugh: :laugh:

Anyway, the result is good enough, although there's GE watermark on it  :sad:. 

• Administrators

wow 15 hours  :huh:

BTW, for compressed image data, I think ECW from ERMapper will be great, but honestly I never try it

I use ENVI for most of my job, and their native data seems fast enough for processing

recently I got a geoeyes image which 16 GB huge, and it runs smoothly on my ENVI

regards,

Yep Emperor, I'll give ecw a try.

I forced to use mobile modem with 64kbps receive rate served by our national wireless telecom provider.  :laugh: :laugh: 

My lightning speed of fixed line connection always banned by GE server just after some minutes downloading even though I wait for the next 24hours cycle.

@moed_dev

I see you had much pain to download this much data. Why not use GMapMaker. This is a very good tool to download GE image with projection file and without watermark, and of coarse without letting GE know what evil you are doing :laugh: . Then try Global Mapper. It's another very good and fast tool. DON'T USE ARCGIS TO PROCESS THIS MUCH DETAILED MAP. It will mass up the resolution.

As you already have your map, try GM if it is with world file. If not, try Adobe Illustrator. Remember even Adobe Illustrator has few limitations to calculate really big files. In that case you have to cut the whole map into 2-3 small chunks. Oh! one more thing, use jp2 not jpg.(I ones had to download the whole Israel  :tongue:)

recently I got a geoeyes image which 16 GB huge, and it runs smoothly on my ENVI

wow! :shocked: let me know if you have anything near Bangladesh. :cheesy:

I only can say, use global mapper, like said anyone here before.

there is an example> i have ciRCA 400 orthophotos, georeferenced. For job, ya need a grid, to know, what tile or piece is needed for you, and in which coloumn / row. I thought, maybe arcgis can make a good mosaicked image. But i saw, Argis slooooow and not flexible...

Use global mapper. The ver. 12 can support many many format / projections. I Dropped my 400 orthophotos, selected the output format to ECW (it a very very good compressed format). The result > from 400 image / 65 gigabytes it made a single 17 gigabyte file (only one file, no other files!). The arcgis or other GIS programs can open it like thunder! The zoom works fine, because if ya zooming to a place, the program only decompress the zoomed area, zoom in / zoom back is very fast. I used jp2000 and other formats, i think ecw is the best for big images!

Thanks to rahmansunbeam and maunaloa. I learnt a lot from your advise and experience. :grin:

Okay, this is the report

1, I used Global Mapper to open 1.1Gigs BMP file,

2. click File:Export Raster/Image Format,

3. Select Export Format:ECW file

4. waiting for 7 minutes to have 35Mb ECW file.  :tongue:

Thanks to all of you  Guys..  :laugh:

Thanks to rahmansunbeam and maunaloa. I learnt a lot from your advise and experience. :grin:

Okay, this is the report

1, I used Global Mapper to open 1.1Gigs BMP file,

2. click File:Export Raster/Image Format,

3. Select Export Format:ECW file

4. waiting for 7 minutes to have 35Mb ECW file.  :tongue:

Thanks to all of you  Guys..  :laugh:

good work! keep in touch.

I encounter this error when I open one of the BMP image

"unable to load word file associated with image"

I coudn't find any difference between this BMP and the others which are succeeded in conversion.  I mean, the other files have no word file accompanied as well. Are they hidden?

Thoughts anyone?

this is how I solve it :

1. add the BMP image on an empty layer in ArcMap.

2. right click on the image : Data : Export Data.  I prefer JP2 format and set 100 to compression quality value.

3. after getting the JP2 image, open Global Mapper and convert it to ECW format.

-- done--

this is how I solve it :

1. add the BMP image on an empty layer in ArcMap.

2. right click on the image : Data : Export Data.  I prefer JP2 format and set 100 to compression quality value.

3. after getting the JP2 image, open Global Mapper and convert it to ECW format.

-- done--

nice man thks for share is great your solution...regards

• 1 year later...

ah yeah, but if you dont want to loose the detail, I think IMagine IMG format with compression/pyramid layer enabled would do the job, You can use ERDAS IMAGINE, ArcGIS, or Global Mapper to do the task, The dataset indeed huge, but it will easily loaded in arcgis (my cases), thanks to the pyramid layer,

Hi all! Once i spent exeperimental with compression, but the main problem has been data storage and I also saw archivers. About the compression:

-At the same coefficient image compression format ECW is more granular and compressed in a format SID is more blur;

- Used in the algorithm GlobalMapper ECW identical to the other, but sometimes poorly taken up by the projection of the source file.

- J2000 uses the same wavelet transform, but at the same compression ratios, ECW and SID compressed visually with smaller losses than in J2K.

- At the same values of the coefficients of compression, compression sid in fact better than ecw. J2000 format compresses the worst of all, and spoils the picture in the Erdas, ENVI algorithm is implemented better, but will choose a total of 2 compression versions - high and low.

Original image:

Format – img (Erdas Imagine)

Size - 3 406 825 203 byte

Compression - no

Mode - Panchromatic

Bits/pix – 8

Calculations are stated in Table

http://postimage.org/image/5q0bai1up/