Thoughts about Mapbox 2.0 becoming Proprietary

MarcusP

I am an avid user of the Mapbox JS library, and I use to map points of interest in some of our projects, like locations of survey targets for monitoring purposes.
https://www.mapbox.com/mapbox-gljs

THe latest branch now includes improved support for 3D terrain, but I am still nt seeing support for negative elevations- i.e underground. 

But with the news that Mapbox 2.0 is no longer open source, What are your thoughts about it?

Certainly it has an imapct on the projects that depend on the underlying Mpabox libraries, but they said its not gonna affect 99% of the existing userbase.

From what I was able to find out, this was somehow to encourage consistent development by not relying on community devs who mostly are not full-time developers.
Also, a fork called Maplibre seems to aim continuing the development of 1.x branch ( I may be wrong) , so yeah.

Edited by MarcusP
added link to Mapbox JS 2.0

• MarcusP changed the title to Thoughts about Mapbox 2.0 becoming Proprietary