Activity of species in a study area

Ignacio

Hello everyone,

I need to infer the activity of a lobster species in a specific area, I have bathymetry and bionomic cartography as base maps to plot the lobster's activity. Their movement has been tracked by means of a set of receivers registering depth.  That said I have the information of depth and which of the receivers registers the information, with that I should be able to draw the locations where the lobster have been within the specific receiver's range and specific depth but I do not know how to do this step.

Any ideas?

Thanks beforehand.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you want to just map the locations or to create polygons which represent the inhabitable area?

If the first one (just the locations), then all you have to do, is create point layer from the receiver locations and filter the ones that have registered lobster activity. You could use pretty much any GIS software (or even Excel graphs) for this, for example: http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/importing_spreadsheets_csv.html

If you want to create polygons, then you have to take the point locations and create Voronoi polygons (i.e. distribute the area between receiver locations), example: http://djjr-courses.wikidot.com/soc128:qgis-voronoi-polygons. You may have to cut the resulting polygon set with bathymetry data.