Bash Shell on Windows 10

Lurker

this is not VM or a like, this is native bash shell running in Windows 10, shocking right ? :D

here the videos :

https://sec.ch9.ms/ch9/5db6/8ee786b7-9fc5-45bf-94d0-16ea91765db6/P488_mid.mp4

Microsoft is reaching out to Linux developers in a way that the company never has before. "The Bash shell is coming to Windows. Yes, the real Bash is coming to Windows," said Microsoft's Kevin Gallo on stage at today's Build 2016 keynote. The announcement received an uproarious applause from the crowd. The new functionality will be enabled as part of this summer's Anniversary Update to Windows 10.

"This is not a VM. This is not cross-compiled tools. This is native," he said. "We've partnered with Canonical to offer this great experience, which you'll be able to download right from the Windows Store." Third-party tools have enabled this sort of thing for years, but a direct partnership between Microsoft and Canonical should offer even more flexibility and convenience for developers who prefer using these binaries and tools.

source :

http://www.theverge.com/2016/3/30/11331014/microsoft-windows-linux-ubuntu-bash

ahahaha :P:D :D :D

Well, it's always a question of choice. I like to work with Windows 10 but...

I use to use AutoCAD, AutoCAD 3D MAP and unfortunately with 10, you have to install 2016. If you try have a previous version, then it's a NO GO.

From Autodesk website:

Windows 10 is not yet an officially supported operating system across the Autodesk product line. Autodesk intends to support many of our key products on Windows 10 and will add products to the list of products supported on Windows 10 as updates and future versions are released. Product Support will provide their best effort to assist customers who have issues with current Autodesk products running on Windows 10.

The most common issue is the inability to do a new installation of an Autodesk product on a Windows 10 operating system due to the Windows 10 reliance on .NET 4.6. In most cases, Autodesk products installed on an earlier operating system that was later upgraded to Windows 10 will continue to work as expected. Many of these issues have been corrected by the most recent Windows 10 updates. Update your Windows 10 installation to receive the latest updates.   

;) 

darksabersan.

• Like 1

You need a multiple PC/Laptop then, ehehehehe

I have one PC only for try and explore something new, ;)

I have Autocad MAP 2016 installer, but after see the minimum requirement, ;) , I think I will keep it for collection only, not for installing on my PC

I do have interest in CAD software, but minimum requirement for Autocad is beyond my PC,

So I change my direction to Microstation, :lol::D , fast and light, I need a descent drafting function

If someday there is an extension in ArcGIS that mimic like MapCAD in Mapinfo, then all will be complete, CAD is the best for drafting, and ArcGIS dont have such function right now.

In case for Windows 10, I really like this direction so far, we'll see the implementation later

Never used Docker but very much interested to see the technical details on how this is actually working without a VM. So I googled and found this page. Dustin Kirkland did a good job to actually open an Ubuntu system and import that inside VS to see how it could be done. The result is this,  

file-explorer.png

apt.png

Though not everything went as expected but the sysbench shows nearly equivalent cpu, memory, and io performance.

Finally, I imagine some of you -- long time Windows and Ubuntu users alike -- are still wondering, perhaps, "Why?!?"  Having dedicated most of the past two decades of my career to free and open source software, this is an almost surreal endorsement by Microsoft on the importance of open source to developers.  Indeed, what a fantastic opportunity to bridge the world of free and open source technology directly into any Windows 10 desktop on the planet.  And what a wonderful vector into learning and using more Ubuntu and Linux in public clouds like Azure.  From Microsoft's perspective, a variety of surveys and user studies have pointed to bash and Linux tools -- very specifically, Ubuntu -- be available in Windows, and without resource-heavy full virtualization.

• Like 2