Convert Tiff into Elevation Data

Lurker

Mod, are you kidding me? I dont believe what I read, The mighty lurker?? You know the difference between RGB image and Gridded Image right? , the answer is simple, when you brings your data to photoshop, It will automatically read as One band monochromatic image, and after you are done messin it up, your save as execution will automatically converted it into RGB image, the pixel wont store the original elevation values instead it will save the color value applied to it when it is displayed in photoshop, and you know what will happen next in global mapper. 

so to be concluded, dont brings your DEM to photoshop, actually what do you want to get from bringing your DEM to photoshop? if you want to create marvelous good looking Hillshade, just make it first in proper software and then brings the hillshade result to photoshop and you could tweaks it as much as you want, 

still, you are not testing us right? arent you? wakakaka

• Like 1

ahahaha, :P :P :P

yep I know the theory, but at least we can push the limit, can we? ;) ;) ;)

this discussion forum have less activity than the others, so why not discuss some crazy things,

this is just flash thought came to my mind actually,

how to make a color value in photoshop for example to something like elevation data,

I just tought, how bout in range of pixel , we point one on one value with range of elevation data in the real world. :lol: :lol: :lol:

just some crazy thought :lol:

update :

with some quick search I found someone that have same problem with this topic :

http://www.cartotalk.com/index.php?showtopic=3137

;):P

I was actually curious to know if Spatial Analyst's hillshading operation could read greyscale RGB values in place of actual elevations from a DEM. It looks like it can.

if let say we can make standarization for the RGB value to display elevation data for hillshading, can we reverse it?

I saw this interesting tools from mathlab :

http://www.mathworks.com/help/map/ref/demcmap.html

hmmm yeah I guess it even not a problem if it was 16 BIT Grayscale, conversion is relative easily, though Im not so sure considering the random factor/other intermediate processing that might turn the reverse engineering into  a havoc, but if its about RGB images, I dont know, the complexity and relationship between R, G, and B channel is not something could be standardized easily, it might be case by case and unique, And dont forget about image stretching consideration

• Like 1