ArcGIS beginners problems...

chris3o12

Hi guys,

i hope i landed in the right forum here. I need to work with a DEM in TIN-format with the Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst extension. Sadly, i can't even get my DEM into ArcMap... So, i will list my problems and hope for some help from such nice people as you certainly are ;)

1) matching coordinate systems of all my data (transforming, projecting)

My DEM-data uses GCS_Bessel_1841. Would there be any inaccuracies if i would transform it to DHDN 3-Degree Gauss Zone 3? Or should i rather match all my other data to the DEMs coordinate system?

How would i do that?

2) merging layers of raster data of the same format

My DEM consists of several different layers lying right next to each other. How can i merge them to one single layer so that i can analyse my whole DEM at once?

3) converting TIN to GRID

My DEM comes in TIN-format so that i will have to convert it to GRID to be able to analyse it. Will there be any inaccuracies from converting TIN to GRID? If so, i would have to try to get the DEM in ADF-format...

Thank you all so much for your help! :)

1. If you have all dataset in different projection, then, you must transform your DEM to your project's projection,

2. you can build mozaic for your multiple raster data :

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//001700000097000000

basicaslly stacking all your raster into one raster dataset with same projection parameter

3. converting data as far as I know only changing their format data, inaccuracy happen if you change the data inside it, for example when you convert from format A and format B you also change bit depth or change from float into integer, etc IMHO.