Shape To Dxf ...beta free to try...

owenransen

I've been looking at ESRI Shape files and decided to create ShapeToDxf (Windows only). I wanted to see  how hard it was and how much of a market there was.

The download is a very early beta, but if you want to make DXF files from your SHP files it could be useful. I don't ask for your email, but I do ask for your feedback!

The back half of ShapeToDxf application Pointor. After a few years of development I know more or less what Pointor users want, but I'm not so sure what Shape To Dxf should deliver, especially as far as 3D and layers and text annotations etc. are concerned.

Anybody who gives me feedback, good or bad, will get the final release free (if they want it!)

Here's the page: http://www.ransen.com/Shp2Dxf.htm

hello , some issue :

1. if I open program in windows 8.1 64bit , there is an error said , cannot create program dir, maybe permission issue. after click Ok, program running

2. quick look on the prgram GUI, I dont know what the real function of big square icon below main menu (big square qith black and grey color), it is ugly

3. you should try to add dxf/dwg to shp too, but with the nice result, like attribute preserve and shorting entity, that's the function I still search right now :P

thats all, Im not into to autocad things so, I dont have any deep experience in dxf itself

hello , some issue :

1. if I open program in windows 8.1 64bit , there is an error said , cannot create program dir, maybe permission issue. after click Ok, program running

2. quick look on the prgram GUI, I dont know what the real function of big square icon below main menu (big square qith black and grey color), it is ugly

3. you should try to add dxf/dwg to shp too, but with the nice result, like attribute preserve and shorting entity, that's the function I still search right now :P

thats all, Im not into to autocad things so, I dont have any deep experience in dxf itself

Yes, I've been trying in Windows 7 only, I'll try to sort out the Windows 8 error message.

I should not have left the toolbar in the program until it was better looking. Everything in the toolbar is in the menu, but your point is taken.

I'm not sure what you mean by point 3. Do you mean add the shape into an existing DXF file?

I'm currently working on adding text fields from the DBF file into the final DXF, either as attributes if the entities can be represented as blocks, or as text entities near the shape object.

What do you mean by a "shorting entity"?

sorry for not clearly explain, Im not native English speaker ;)

I know that your conversion is from shp to dxf, but as GIS analyst point of view, like me, more important things is the opposite, convert from dxf or dwg into shp.

but it's really hard to convert from dxf/dwg into shp without loosing part of information -_-

so number 3 more like suggestion :D

• Like 1

I know that your conversion is from shp to dxf, but as GIS analyst point of view, like me, more important things is the opposite, convert from dxf or dwg into shp.

but it's really hard to convert from dxf/dwg into shp without loosing part of information -_-

Your English is fine.

What information do you lose? What does the original DWg or DXF file contain which you end up missing in SHP? I imagine it has to do with the DBF file which accompanies the SHP file?

• Like 1

What information do you lose? What does the original DWg or DXF file contain which you end up missing in SHP? I imagine it has to do with the DBF file which accompanies the SHP file?

exactly :D

and in DXF/DWG , you will get a lot of entity that consolidated on one file , like legend, text or border which is unused in GIS , sometimes I find its really difficult to separate them.

yep and the dbf is pain in the ass :( , always missing,

ehm, your next version seems promising, I will try and give you report,

BTW if you can make complete conversion software, I mean not only one way but two way conversion DWG/DXF - SHP, those will more interesting to the market :P

oh can you add partial area or entity conversion in case someone only need some of the entity or area to convert but not all of them :wub:

BTW if you can make complete conversion software, I mean not only one way but two way conversion DWG/DXF - SHP, those will more interesting to the market :P

oh can you add partial area or entity conversion in case someone only need some of the entity or area to convert but not all of them :wub:

Do you mean, for example, save only the zoomed portion to DXF?

I agree DXF->SHP would be interesting and I'll look at that when I've got this ShapeToDxf under my belt properly.

Do you mean, for example, save only the zoomed portion to DXF?

yep, or maybe manually select the entity, or adding clip area,

oh I remember one thing, if you convert shp to dxf, how bout the coordinate or projection? is it still intact or lost?

maybe it will usefull if we use dxf in to autocad civil design or autocad map that need projection or coordinate

if you convert shp to dxf, how bout the coordinate or projection? is it still intact or lost?

maybe it will usefull if we use dxf in to autocad civil design or autocad map that need projection or coordinate

I'm not quite sure how best to handle that, I hope I get enough feedback to make a decision...

In GIS, we really care bout Projection and Coordinate.

Im not CAD users, so I cant describe on CAD area, but Autodesk have Product that touch map (Civil design and 3D Map), so maybe you can preserve coordinate or projection information ^_^

I'm aiming for the customers who need to get hold of shape files, but they do not want/cannot afford a full blown GIS+CAD system. Ihope to get more feedback on how people want to handle projection and DBF data as the program develops.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now ShapeToDxf includes a 3D viewer for the SHP + DBF files which include 3d info.

Free beta here: http://www.ShapeToDxf.com

I've been looking at ESRI Shape files and decided to create ShapeToDxf (Windows only). I wanted to see  how hard it was and how much of a market there was.

The download is a very early beta, but if you want to make DXF files from your SHP files it could be useful. I don't ask for your email, but I do ask for your feedback!

The back half of ShapeToDxf application Pointor. After a few years of development I know more or less what Pointor users want, but I'm not so sure what Shape To Dxf should deliver, especially as far as 3D and layers and text annotations etc. are concerned.

Anybody who gives me feedback, good or bad, will get the final release free (if they want it!)

Here's the page: http://www.ransen.com/Shp2Dxf.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Arcv2CAD 7.0

ESRI Shapefile to AutoCAD® DXF/DWG Converter

New release - Arcv2CAD 7.0

Support all AutoCAD versions up to AutoCAD 2015

Arcv2CAD 7.0 converts ESRI shapefiles (ArcView, ArcGIS, ArcMap etc.) to AutoCAD DXF and DWG formats. This allows shapefiles to be read by virtually all CAD software, for example AutoCAD, MicroStation, CivilCAD, DesignCAD, SolidWorks, as well as numerous other Mapping and Graphics software, eg CorelDraw, Surfer, World Construction Set.

http://www.4shared.com/rar/C3oLN6FDba/Guthrie_Arcv2CAD_70.html

Arcv2CAD 7.0

I'm aware of this, but it is very expensive, ShapeToDxf should be about 25% of the cost of Arcv2Cad.

The last time I tried it Arcv2Cad did not show you the DXF file you were creating, ShapeToDxf does.

Arcv2Cad is more sophisticated, but for some users ShapeToDxf may be the right answer.

Also ShapeToDxf is free to anyone who gives feedback on the beta.

Edited by owenransen

• 2 weeks later...

The latest version of ShapeToDxf has these new features:

• Layers (and their colors) set by elevation.
  • 3D viewer included.
  • Layers (and their colors)n set by any DBF field value.
  • PointZ, PolygonZ and PolyLineZ types recognised.
  • Available in 32 bit and 64 bit versions

As usual, this beta is free and anybody who gives suggestions or comments about the program will get the final full release free.

You can find the downloads and help file here:

http://www.ShapeToDxf.com

If you have specific requirements for your Shape To Dxf conversions please contact me at the above site...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Owen. I have been in the GIS industry for the last 17 years & converting from shapefile to CAD with preserving some attribute info has always been a pain in ArcMap. I will download & provide feedback as I also do some programming.

Cheers,

Alan

Thanks. I've tried to make it easy to add in the attributes from the database into the DXF (from the shape).

All suggestions welcome!