Web application for house renting and selling business

Arhanghelul

Let's say that a business corporation that offers consultancy for renting and selling houses would like to implement a web-application that can help their customers to find houses based on geo-location requests.

Let's say that me, as a customer I would like to rent an apartment. As a student and part-time worker, I would like to find a place that satisfy my necesities, based on some eliminatory points. And let's say that, other advantages than a minimum renting price, I would like to find a house that is in :

1) proximity to transportation (bus or subway) > finding a house as much as possible to a bus station or subway station, to have an easy acces to my university and job place;

2) proximity to markets and shops > finding a house near to markets and shops;

3) proximity to parks, green spaces and party places (clubs, bars, etc) > every student likes to party :D

4) proximity to other factors that can influence the renting price of a house (railaway stations, neighbourhood criminallity risks, etc, etc )

So, as a developper of a such type of geo-location web application, I would like to know what datasets to use (free acces), what softwares to use (open source) and what knowledge is need for making this application (programming, web design) ?

:blink:

So, as a beginner in this field, can someone tell me what are the skills and datasets nedeed to make a web-application for a renting/selling houses business ?

How to start developping this application ?

How long can it take to do it ?

Any references, links, examples, advices and tutorials are welcomed !

Please help me!

:wacko:

Edited by Arhanghelul
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Dear Arhanghelul,

1. Agree with geos987, you can use openlayers, extjs and GeoExt.

2. You can use Geoserver, mapserver or qgis lizmap service

3. You should be well versed in html and javascripting with google API, and other mapping API like yahoo, Bing and OSM

4. Check for reference www.housing.com and  www.commonfloor.com/. You will get idea here. They have done this very well.

Delights :)

• Like 1

I think at forst you should learn spatial database and DBMS systems like postgress and others

then geoserver and after that using javascript or other web programing you can develope great apps

Is there any better liberries that we can use and work with spatial analizes too?sth like a calculating intersects and others?in client side..

• Like 1

Yes ..I think you start with database and then spatial database then geoserver and countinue with javascript and openlayer and other liberaryies beside learning basic of html and other web programing languages

• Like 1