Is it possible to classify/extract features from JPEG/TIFF image?

stella28

Hi Everyone,

As far as I know, this is impossible and the only way we can do this is by visual interpretation. But out of desperate need of data, the satellite images from Google Earth are all we have to assess damaged sites.  I got the images as JPEG from Google Earth and made a mosaic and saved it as TIFF. The mosaic is already true color, but by any chance, does anyone know if there are algorithms/methods how to extract/classify features using a single band or true image?

Thank you and I would really appreciate the help.

Best,

Stella

Edited by stella28

Why not? It depends on the algorithm. As far as your algorithm is good enough which can simulate human's brain (like what you're thinking and doing with visual interpretation), you can use Google Earth images for classification. An important thing of this data source is it's been changed in color (spectral) but kept its texture. You know already damage site is mostly related to texture.

You have to use two dates of data (even from Google Earth) to compare. The damage sites look "different" from the previous date. There are two possibilities:

- The "difference" is a newly built-up area

- The "difference" is the damage site

After detecting the difference, you can check the shape of them. If the shape is round/square/rectangle... lets say it's a newly built-up. Otherwise, it's a damage.

In this case, you have to think of Feature Extraction function as Lurker already referred to.