I need your career advice

rabble_rouser

Hello,

My background is in Simulation programming, and after a while in this industry I want to change.

I have done a bit of GIS programming in my work, as visualisation is important in simulation I've written DEM importers and 3D visualisers, etc.

I have even used ESRI ArcMap a few times many years ago but nothing recently.

I've mainly used C# and C++, but have done not much web based.

I have always enjoyed the geographic elements of programming which is why I want to get more into "GIS".

I would like to also do field work. I resent being behind a computer so much and want to be outdoors more. A 50/50 split I think would be ideal.

Over here in the UK I check out the jobsites but there is not too much GIS work about, especially not in my domain.

I'm not sure where I would fit in but I expect I will have to move to another country.

Given these desires (field work, GIS) what role might I fit into, how could I progress towards obtaining this role?

• Like 4

Heii rabble,

I am not sure what are you looking about, but in my country (Indonesia) alot of GIS and Remote Sensing work field to applied. There is a lot of project about agricultural, mining, survey etc. 

In Netherland there is also a lot of GIS job, it's near with UK so you don't have to flight so much :-D
  • Like 3