Looking for compressed vector format

JohanS

Hi!

Does anyone have information about possible formats for highly compressed vector data?

Some basic requirements.

• Must be possible to read using the larger commercially available platforms. (ArcGIS, Luciad, MapInfo etc.)
  • Must have tools that allows us to create files/format from other data formats (i.e. Shape)
  • Speed when reading the format is important as the data is among other things used as a live map in mobile platforms. Compression speed is less important (although nice)
  • Must be possible to use a map product in a wide scale range, a 50k map shall be possible to read at a 1 000 k zoom level
  • Ability to do selective updates on area, feature-ID or other search criteria would be nice, but not a must.
  • Memory footprint must be small, it needs to work with Windows XP and/or Windows 7 allocating less than 1GB RAM so some kind of smart cache management must be implemented

To give an idea of the required compression and as input for memory footprint requirements, I need to store approximately 1TB of shape data to a 100GB disk.

Does anyone have suggestions for good products?

Best regards,

Johan

• Administrators

wow, I thought first when I read your title you want to know bout high compressed vector file format, but as I saw your requirement, I think you need some kind of a comprehensive solution, contain server and spatial database to serve it, :blink: