Convert pdf map to .shp layers

Arhanghelul

Hello !

I have a map in .pdf file and I would like to import this map in ArcGIS.

Question: how can I convert the .pdf map to a compatible format file to open and edit it in ArcGIS ?

When I open this .pdf file, the map looks like a stack of .shp's (polylines, points and polygons) and it opens slowly. I think it was created by using AutoCAD or a similar software. I whant to import and open this map in a GIS software, to edits some elements of the map.

So, who can help me ? Some tips ?

Thank you ! :D

• Like 1

interesting question.

i have a idea,

you can convert the pdf file into CDR, which is the format of Coreldraw and output its vector file,such as dwg

then ,you can translate the dwg into commoal gis file using gis software, maybe arcgis,

however ,the coordinate system and the topo relation must be rebuilt.

good luck.

• Administrators

hello, exactly same whit this threads, from cartotalk forum, please take a look :

http://www.cartotalk.com/index.php?showtopic=8035

its depend on what kind of PDF , if you got raster PDF, then, digitize or using raster to vector converter will be the best

Thank you for your replyes !

I am stiil waiting for more solutions. :huh:

P.S. : the .pdf file contains a map of a city, an urban planning map (streets, residential spaces, green area, roads, and other urban elements). It looks like a stack of .shp's but it has no geographic coordinate system, becouse it was made in AutoCAD and then exported as .pdf file. So, if I will manage to bring this in ArcGIS , I will have to find a way to georeference the map. So, another question : how to georeference a shapefile (polyline, point or polygon) in ArcGIS and how to rebuild the topo relations ?

Edited by Arhanghelul

Arhanghelul

only with a geopdf you can restore all the vectors when you import the file under illustrator (and you need the last edition of mapublisher)...

If is a sample pdf, you lose all the vector layers and the coordinate, because the file will be rasterized

So, if is a sample pdf, forget to recover coordinate and layers..

I suggest you to save the pdf file to an image, try to manually georeference the image , then you can import the file in arcgis...

Otherwise try the tool "pdf2dxf"....

Edited by Team_Evil
  • Like 1

Team_Evil

I don't have the last edition of Mapublisher..... :( What is a geopdf ? My .pdf file doesn't contain coordinates, just layers (points, lines and polygons and text)

I was also considered to convert the .pdf to another format like a .jpeg or .tiff and then using image-to-image to georeference this image to a basemap in ArcGIS. But i read somewhere that the conversion of the .pdf map to a jpeg raster will lose some informations due to low resolution of the .jpeg format.

Some advices for the conversion .pdf-to-imagine softwares ?

Arhanghelul,

It's exactly like Team_Evil said: if it's not a geopdf, nor a pdf version that keeps some editing properties (like Photoschop and probably many others), than you can forget a straight conversion to vector features.

And agian confirming Team_Evil: if it's just a 'normal' pdf, you will have to save it as an image, georeference it an then import it in a GIS to convert it from raster to vector.

You are correct about the .jpeg issue. Indeed, if you want to retain as much information as possible: NEVER jpeg.

As you already mentioned, .tiff is certainly a good format.

But: you must also consider the original quality of the pdf. If you zoom in, are pixel transitions discrete or are they blurred (due to image compression)?

If you Google 'pdf to tiff', a bunch of results appear. Many are free tools (desktop or online). You should try them.

If you succeed in doing this, I hope you have a georeferenced basemap of good quality, because otherwise the finally resulting GIS layer is not very useful. But I guess you know that :)

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Corel Draw is a good solution. However, a combination between Corel Draw and Wintopo will enhance your products.

1. Make use of Corel to select extracted features. By the way, delete unnecessary things such as text, symbols and some other labels.

2. Export this Corel Draw to TIFF file

3. Use of Wintopo to vectorize the image

4. Use of Wintopo to register the output into the designed coordinate system (just input 4 corners of X,Y)

5. Use of Wintopo to export results into Shapefile.

I've done it before and it worked great.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Simply create a VRT with GDAL.  ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro both ready VRT.  So any Format that ESRI ArcGIS does not support you simply need to create a vrt first.  Want to display mbtiles, geopdf or other data gdalbuildvrt vrtname.vrt pathtodata\filename.extension

http://www.gdal.org/gdalbuildvrt.html

If you are looking for an application to read the GeoPDF natively go with BlueMarble Geographics Global Mapper