LANDSAT thermal band for Land Surface Temperature (LST)

Arhanghelul

Hello everyone !

I would like to use the LANDSAT thermal band no.6 to determine the Land Surface Temperature (LST) for a urban space. ("the urban heat island")

Is there anyone who tried to use this ? I have found some studies about thermal Earth surface measuring using MODIS satelite and some research studies about the LANDSAT thermal band for measuring the LST for some different landscapes/ landuses.

But I can't find some more detailed descriptions about how to use the LANDAT thermal band:

• the formulas or the algorithms for extracting LST from LANDSAT thermal band ?
  • what software to use ?
  • how to use the software and the sattelite images ?
  • what is the difference between the band 6.1 and band 6.2 thermal band of LANSAT ETM+ and which one of them are used to create the LST ?
  • what are the benefits and the limits of using thermal satelite images for detecting a "urban heat island" for example, or to determine differences between landuse/landcover types ?
  • and more questions.......... :(

Thx.

I suggest you to use first the guide of ENVI and erdas....

Are more accurate and you can find the differences between the landsat 7 termal bands...

And check the plugins on the exelis website

http://www.exelisvis.com/language/en-US/UserCommunity/CodeLibrary.aspx

Edited by Team_Evil

• 4 weeks later...

yes, I have done this with ETM+ band 6.1(spatial resolution 30 m resampled by USGSS from the 60 m resolution). I have determined the at-sensor brightness temperature LST sensor-satelit (I converted from Kelvin to Celsius)

But the resulting LST is not the real ground soil temperature. For this, I have found some articles about using the Quin algorithm. The problem is that, this algorithm requires to know some parameters registered by gound meteorological stations exactly in the moment when the Landsat sensor created the image (08:49 PM) And I don't have those meteorological parameters ( air temperature, relative air moisture and emittance).

In conclusion, the thermal band 6 of the LANDSAT is very useful to determine the LST at-sensor and compare the land use/land change with the changes of the LST ( or the ground temperature)

:D

• 3 weeks later...

yes, I have done this with ETM+ band 6.1(spatial resolution 30 m resampled by USGSS from the 60 m resolution). I have determined the at-sensor brightness temperature LST sensor-satelit (I converted from Kelvin to Celsius)

But the resulting LST is not the real ground soil temperature. For this, I have found some articles about using the Quin algorithm. The problem is that, this algorithm requires to know some parameters registered by gound meteorological stations exactly in the moment when the Landsat sensor created the image (08:49 PM) And I don't have those meteorological parameters ( air temperature, relative air moisture and emittance).

In conclusion, the thermal band 6 of the LANDSAT is very useful to determine the LST at-sensor and compare the land use/land change with the changes of the LST ( or the ground temperature)

:D

Hi. If you have derived bright temperature from TM6, the next step you should consider the emissivity of each classification( or pixels, or land cover). Sobrino and Qin's algorithms for retrieval of land surface temperature are recommended: 1. Land surface temperature retrieval from LANDSAT TM 5; 2. A mono-window algorithm for retrieving land surface temperature from Landsat TM data and its application to the Israel-Egypt border region.

Above articles both deal with single channel of thermal data, and involving emissivity retrieval from NDVI.

"By the way, Band 61 and 62, as you probably know, use exactly the same detector I believe (same wavelength and bandwidth) but the gain is set differently (61 is set to 'low' gain, 62 is set to 'high' gain). " cited from http://www.soest.haw...r/tmconvert.pdf