Top 10 Improvements in ArcGIS Desktop and Server 10.1

rahmansunbeam

ESRI speak out about the top improvement they have been placing inside the newest release of ArcGIS family, the version 10.1.  Check out these videos.

Top 10 Improvements in ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 by Joe Holubar

[hide]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtRAhPV7mD0

[/hide]

Video Transcription

00:01 At number 10 on my desktop countdown list is search. Searching has been improved

throughout the application.

00:07 For example, there are 4,634 projections we ship with ArcGIS. I need to find the one I want

fast.

00:18 New in 10.1, I simply search for web and quickly narrow down my results to the one I'm

looking for.

00:31 Search gets better with spatial filtering, so this, for example, I'll search for UTM and I get

back a ton of results.

00:40 By enabling the spatial filter, I can narrow down my choices to only the projections that fall

within my map extent.

00:53 We've included spatial filtering in the search window as well, as you can see here.

00:57 Along with spatial keyword support, meaning is data in or near a specific location.

01:03 Here, I'm going to search for wind generation data near Stowe, Vermont.

01:08 I get a list of place-names to choose from, select the one I want, my map zooms in, and I get

focused results for that location.

01:18 Searching in 10.1 saves you more time.

01:23 Number 9 on our list has to do with editing. It can be really important to know who created

what and when.

01:32 Editor tracking in 10.1 allows me to create a new critical habitat location…

01:37 …and have that editor information maintained for me by the application.

01:47 This also works when updating existing features. Here, I'll split a polygon, and the last editor

information is updated again for me.

01:57 Now, since this is a property of a geodatabase, it can be accessed across the entire system…

02:02 …here in the desktop, out in the field with mobile, or even online.

02:08 Our next four enhancements all focus on geoprocessing.

02:14 Here, I have a directory of geotagged photos that I want to display on my map.

02:18 Our number 8 feature is the new Geotagged Photos To Points tool.

02:23 This tool makes it really straightforward to take that folder and then display them on my map.

02:29 It creates points from the geotagged locations and attaches the photos as geodatabase

attachments that I can now access anywhere.

02:43 Number 7 is the new GPX To Features tool.

02:47 This tool makes it much easier to take your GPS data from the field and load it directly into

ArcGIS.

02:54 It takes the waypoints, track points, and routes; displays them on my map…

02:58 …that I can now select to access the detailed information of that file.

03:08 Next, I'm going to take you on an African safari inside the Zakouma National Park here in

Chad.

03:15 Our number 6 improvement provides improved support for KML files inside of ArcMap.

03:22 The KML To Layers tool now supports the symbols, labels, and HTML pop-ups coming directly

from your KML files.

03:35 Next, helps you make multiscale maps; it's our number 5 feature.

03:41 Here, I have a highway interchange along with building footprints in the surrounding area.

03:47 10.1 has two new generalization tools inside the Cartography toolbox called the Collapse

Road Detail and Delineate Built-up Areas.

03:57 To help see the results of these tools, I'll open up a viewer window to get a side-by-side

comparison.

04:05 As I zoom out, my complex road detail collapses…

04:09 …meaning my on- and off-ramps become simplified while maintaining the road connectivity.

04:15 Zooming out again, my building footprints become generalized into urban areas as you see

here in the light and dark orange.

04:21 These tools automate a once manual process.

04:32 Administering your enterprise geodatabases has always been challenging using the command

line…

04:37 …which brings us to our number 4 feature, and it happens to be my personal favorite.

04:42 10.1 introduces a brand-new user interface for administering your enterprise geodatabases.

04:54 This dialog gives me a clear view of my versions; allows me to view, even disconnect,

connections…

05:01 …and helps me manage all the locks on my geodatabase. This dialog, along with the new

Geodatabase Administration toolset…

05:16 …make it really easy and straightforward to manage your enterprise geodatabases.

05:23 Number 3 is about labeling. Here I have a geology map, and I have my features labeled.

05:29 However, I have a dense area of polygons here that remain unlabeled.

05:34 A new option on the Labeling toolbar in 10.1 is called Key Numbering, which, when enabled…

05:40 …creates a key number table that references numeric values on the map.

05:46 This allows me to place more descriptive text on my maps.

05:55 For number 2, we're going to switch over to the layout view, looking at the same geology map.

06:00 Here I have a beautiful layout with a rather complex legend. Typically, when I zoom in, the

legend remains the same.

06:07 However, in 10.1, as I zoom in, the legend updates automatically.

06:17 This is especially relevant for those out there creating map books.

06:22 We've now reached our number 1 desktop improvement for 10.1.

06:26 It's something you've seen and heard all morning, but it's important, and that's the new Share

As menu.

06:33 This menu makes it really straightforward to web enable your maps, data, and tools.

06:39 I get a wizard-driven dialog that takes the map from my desktop and publishes it to your

server or the cloud seamlessly.

06:48 The workflow is the same whether I'm sharing a map, some data as a layer package, or even a

geoprocessing model.

06:56 And there you have it: your top 10 desktop improvements coming in 10.1.

Top 10 Improvements in ArcGIS Server 10.1 by Ismael Chivite

[hide]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVXUnVWEWWI

[/hide]

Video Transcription

00:01 Are you ready for ArcGIS Server? Are you? Because I'm not. I'm just kidding.

00:07 Number 10 is about how you work with global datasets in your web browsers, and I have it

first…

00:14 …not because it's the least important, but because you can take advantage of these today.

00:20 Maps like this one with edges on the side are actually history.

00:24 All the web APIs today support continuous panning around the globe; no more edges in your

maps anymore.

00:35 And this will work with any basemap from ArcGIS Online but also with your own services, of

course.

00:41 I pulled this coral reefs map service; it was built with 9.3. And here you have a service that

has time-aware layers.

00:50 Look how nicely the animation crosses the dateline. Isn't it beautiful?

00:57 Okay. But it's not just about map navigation.

00:59 It's also about all the GIS operations that you do, drawing graphics, selecting geometries

across the dateline.

01:07 Let me draw a line between Los Angeles and Australia. The red dashed line you see is the

geodesic line.

01:13 Look how well it transitions over so you get across. It displays fantastically across the dateline

as well.

01:21 Okay. Number 9.

01:25 Number 9 is for those of you who want to create fully functional web applications but without

programming.

01:31 I'm going to build with you, all together, an application from scratch in less than a minute

with the new Silverlight Viewer.

01:39 Let me start by pushing the biggest button you see, and actually the only one, Create New

Application.

01:45 You start by picking your intelligent map, which will kick-start your configuration.

01:51 Let me center the map in my favorite area, Hawaii, and now I want to add a few layers on top.

01:58 These layers are coming from my own server. Simply browse to it, display the layers, and add

them to the map.

02:06 Now that I am done with the content, I want to add functionality, tools…

02:10 …and there are many tools available out of the box.

02:13 Tools for selections, for filtering, for editing, printing, geoprocessing.

02:18 Let's add a geoprocessing task. Same philosophy. You navigate to your server; it will list all

the available tasks…

02:25 …and then you simply configure the tool. It's that easy. The final touch to me, to my

application, is the title.

02:33 I want to change the title. And this is pretty handy. Those are different layouts that I can

apply.

02:39 There are many that ship in the gallery. At this point, I'm ready to deploy my application, give

it a name.

02:48 And now anyone that has a web browser can actually access my application right away.

02:55 Let's zoom in a little bit around the geoprocessing task that I added.

02:59 I will define a location in the river network and execute the task.

03:04 Now, this Silverlight Viewer is now available in the beta site…

03:08 …so you can actually download it today and start playing with it.

03:13 Now let's talk about what is coming in the next release of [ArcGIS] Server in 10.1…

03:21 …and I know for sure you have been waiting for number 8. It is 64-bit native execution for

[ArcGIS] Server.

03:33 What makes number 7 is the new architecture. In 10.1, ArcGIS [server] becomes a pure web

services GIS server.

03:43 It's a peer-to-peer architecture, which is much simpler and robust.

03:49 This architecture leads to number 6, with dramatically simplified installation and the

configuration of [ArcGIS] Server on premises…

03:59 …in your private cloud, or in your public cloud as well.

04:02 And finally, number 5, ArcGIS Server 10.1 is much more IT-friendly.

04:08 We have eliminated many of the dependencies we had before on DCOM. DCOM is gone.

04:14 And the Windows registry on MainWin on Linux.

04:18 If you are a Linux user, actually 10.1 is great news for you because of this new architecture.

04:24 We also have dramatically enhanced access to databases, adding new databases like Netezza.

04:31 Whether you use SDE or you don't, ArcGIS Server in 10.1 gives you great tools…

04:36 …to display your data and even edit your data over the Internet.

04:42 Now let's discuss some functional enhancements that we have in 10.1.

04:47 Number 4 is the ability to use live or historical traffic data to enhance your network analysis.

04:56 Here is a map of San Diego, a traffic map of San Diego. You have to admit, it's a gorgeous

map, isn't it?

05:04 Let's zoom in a little bit. This is the status of the traffic as of now.

05:08 Let's go back a few hours in time, and you'll see a complete different picture of this map.

05:15 Now what if you could use this information and incorporate it to do your own routing analysis

with it?

05:25 This is the route as of five a.m. in the morning; this is the same route at one o'clock.

05:32 You can see that it's completely different. Why? Because it's taking the traffic into

consideration.

05:37 Imagine how powerful it is to take this traffic information, your business data…

05:42 …your workflows, and make better decisions, thanks to this traffic data.

05:47 Number 3. Number 3 I think will be of interest if you are a web application developer.

05:55 You are asking us to enhance map services and basically to do two things - handle not just a

dozen or hundreds of layers…

06:02 …but thousands of layers effectively in our map services.

06:07 And number two, you want web application developers to have complete freedom…

06:12 …to define which layers are drawn in which order and with what symbology.

06:17 And that is possible in 10.1 with a new capability that we added. It's called dynamic layers.

06:23 With it, I built this application, which illustrates one scenario where this capability comes

handy.

06:29 I have on the side hundreds of variables. I can pick any of them and create a thematic map of

the US.

06:37 Users can also change the symbology of the map by applying a different color ramp…

06:42 …or maybe picking a different class break for the thematic map.

06:47 You can also, at any point, let's say add an additional map on the side…

06:52 …compare side by side, and highlight the classes you want to look at.

06:58 The beauty of this web application is that all the maps you saw were rendered server side…

07:06 …and none of the maps you saw were ever preconfigured on the server.

07:11 The application is completely taking control over which layers are drawn and what symbology

is being used.

07:18 This is a very powerful concept coming in into 10.1 that hopefully will allow you to build very

cool applications.

07:29 Number 2. I'm not going to disclose what number 2 is about just yet.

07:34 Let me talk a little bit about this application.

07:36 It has a basemap from ArcGIS Online, a cached map; a map service on top displaying fire

information.

07:43 I also drew a graphic in red myself, drawing on the application, and executed a geoprocessing

tool.

07:49 What you have been asking us to do is to take all of this information and take it to paper as a

high-quality map…

07:59 …printed in a small piece of paper and a larger piece of paper, but a beautiful map.

08:04 And we have created in 10.1 an out-of-the-box, high-quality print service.

08:10 So you can create high-quality maps on demand from web and mobile applications.

08:22 This is, many of you know, this is the number one enhancement request in the Ideas site, so

we really appreciate your feedback.

08:30 Number 1 is number 1 because this is what all servers are about. Performance, performance,

performance.

08:37 You're familiar with the concept of drive-time polygons. This is a sophisticated operation.

08:42 In 10 and 9.3.1, takes a few seconds to execute, especially if you are using large datasets.

08:48 In my case, I'm using a network dataset with every street in the US and in Canada.

08:53 I'm also taking this polygon and querying an eight million US census block table…

09:00 …to generate the population chart on the side.

09:03 As I said, this takes a few seconds in 10. In 10.1, we accelerated this a little bit. Okay?

09:14 You see that? Let me do it again. You see that, huh? Bang, bang, bang.

09:21 Wait a second, because if you like that, you truly don't understand how 10.1 is.

09:28 Look at that beauty, how it moves as I move the mouse around.

09:32 It's fast enough that I can do on-the-fly analysis as I move the mouse in my map.

• 1 month later...