How to measure roof top area using google map

msig0000

I m gonna to make report on the "solar energy potential of an area" for this purpose i need the all roof top area precisely, where from i can calculate the solar energy production capabilities of that particular area.

under this state what should i do

plz suggest

If you want to use Google Maps, I see no other way than digitize the roofs in your study area.

I never used that services, but in ArcGIS you can load layers from webservers, in ERDAS you can connect to Bing Maps.

It then boils down to draw polygons over areas of which you think these are roofs.

NOTE

I don't know what architectural style the houses in the study area fit in, but consider the fact that not all roofs are flat.

If there are slanted roofs, the actual roof area will be higher. You measure the projected roof area. You can define it as a minimum solar panel potential.

you should classify the roof top using arcgis imagen classifier , download with google ozy study area and then make  georeferensing the image and adjust to study area and then make a classification with arcgis or anothe soft of roof top...it's easy the process and wonder results...test and tell us...regards 

• 2 weeks later...

Using Google Earth or Maps What would be the precision level

or how much correct it should be.

Depends a lot on where you are on the globe. Some have very accurate LiDAR derived DEM's, but some areas just have SRTM data I believe. And you can always extract heights using stereo photography (eATA, LPS, although there are some issues involved).