Apple: replacement first-generation iPod Nano

gisadept

Hi guys,

Maybe some of you are still walking around with this version?

Here you can read an article on MacRumors.

ipod_nano_replacement_notice.jpg

It's not stated what you are gonna get back when you send it in.

Personally, I think the replacement will be one from the current generation.

I can't think of a huge stock of non-sold ones or re-production of this version.

The replacement program first was started in Japan and South-Korea.

Anyone that can give a clear indication of what you can expect to be sent back?

• 1 month later...

how many days until you get your replacement?

This is the track info:

November 12, 2011: Service requested

December 6, 2011: Product received

December 6, 2011: Issue identified

December 6, 2011: Product replacement pending

January 2, 2011: Product received

Normally there would be sent an e-mail, but my repair status kept saying 'product replacement pending' until the day I got my replacement.

So, it's less than the 6 weeks Apple said you'll have to wait.

I'm not sure, but I think it is.

In fact it's definitely overseas because these jewels are made in China (I'm from Europe).

Mine was produced in October of 2011. So it's indeed quite possible I had to wait before the stock in the distribution center I relied on (Netherlands) got refilled with nanos form overseas before they could send them across the country/countries.

UPS was my delivery company.

aha, nice, with the those price, they should have a best after sales service

congrats for the new ipod

hey btw, do you have any plans to buy Iphone 4S, I have read the review, and seems awesome product

ahahaha, I have a plan to buy some android gadget this year, but I need to decide, tablet or smartphone

aha, nice, with the those price, they should have a best after sales service

congrats for the new ipod

hey btw, do you have any plans to buy Iphone 4S, I have read the review, and seems awesome product

ahahaha, I have a plan to buy some android gadget this year, but I need to decide, tablet or smartphone

I think tablets are better. The tabs now a days offering some pretty cool stuffs, 1gh dual core processor are almost common. Quad cores are on their way. Just like SJ says, tablets will be ruling the next generation of computing.  BTW, dual-core smart phones are not so uncommon these days!  :wink:

If my bank account says I'm allowed to do that, I might do that. However, reality is different  :cheesy:

I do not share rahmansunbeam's opinion. He's right by stating computing power of those tablets is only to increase.

But, and that's of course personal, a smartphone is more easy to carry with you.

I would buy a very decent laptop/desktop to run your stuff on, together with a smartphone, instead of a laptop/desktop, tablet and a smartphone. However, if money is not an issue: just get both of them :wink:

The tablets trend which really started with the introduction of Apple's iPad, it merely fits in strategy to make people consume. It's a gadget: if you don't have it, you won't miss it. Most of the people that own a tablet use it for browsing, gaming, exploring YouTube and alike, e-mailing etc. It's about entertainment.

Those who use a tablet for real work, I think that's a minority. And despite the fact tables get more powerful, running heavy programs like GIS or video editing software is not yet of these times.

A smartphone: you can make calls, send short messages etc. on the one hand, and you can browse on the internet, make appointments in your agenda (and sync it online so your desktop shows eventually the same), send emails, check Facebook. For me a smartphone is a real Swiss knife, a tool you can really use in everyday life.

So far my opinion!

yeehaa,  :tongue:

everyone have different opinion, its okay

actually I already have what we called "smartphone" in their era, its Nokia E63 and Blackberry Gemini, pretty old but still functioning, muhahahaha  :cheesy:

hem, interesting in tablet, and yesterday my eyes got this motorola xoom on some review, really nice product, but expensive  :lipsrsealed:

Well gisadept really get away with some ideas. Comparing tablet with desktops and laptops will be quite an issue in future. I see most people still believe tabs as still a playing stuff and entertainment device (which they still are), but won't be same in few years. Giants like Intel and amd are heavily up to building cooler and better processor to catch the recent trend, the tablet trend. During this year we will see more multiprocessor tabs able to do everyday works without any hassle. We will be more comfortable to carry our pc in a file, aren't we?

Comparing tabs with smartphones are a bit tricky. If you compare Galaxy S with Kindle fire, I will surely pick the phone; though ease of voice call are not the only issue today to buy bigger phones, the issue is to run more apps (and of coarse bigger work space). I've only recently touched a 10 inch Galaxy tab, and guess what the experience is way better than 4 inch display. If you add an extra layer of cream, running the all-ruling ArcGIS in one of them, surely you'll love them.

hem, on the future, I guess there are more and more what I called "overlapping function" product, ahahahahaha

but for some point, I agree with rahman, indeed in some time in the future, the trend is mobile computing, tablet or maybe even a smartphone have the capability like desktop,

but right now, processor for desktop and mobile gadget is different, desktop still use x86 based proc and gadget using SOC proc which is RISC proc I believe, so we need until x86 goes to gadget, ahahahahaha

just my 0.02 cent, I'm not an IT master

I agree with you, rahmansunbeam, that it's likely to be the future since giants like Intel will indeed pick up the tablets trend into their business strategy. But the horsepower needed for ArcGIS etc won't fit in a tablet because of heat production and the associated absent heat dispersion in tablets.

Anyway, the IT companies have already showed their development and engineering capacities so, together with the enhancement of efficient (and hopefully also 'green') batteries, we will going out that direction I guess.

The comparison of smartphones and tablets, and its 'trickyness', there you're right.

But it's all a matter of: what do you want to do with your device/platform and what features are specifically needed in order to match the user's needs or the operations to be done on the platform. And your example of the screen size is a good one to illustrate that. I have the feeling there are so many 'smart' devices on the market now, each which their own capabilities, just to gain market share. And that attempt of companies like Samsung in optimizing their strength results in different devices (like smartphones vs tablets) with overlapping functionalities makes it not easy for us to see the forest for the trees. 

We're becoming philosophical here... At least I do  :grin:

hem, on the future, I guess there are more and more what I called "overlapping function" product, ahahahahaha

but for some point, I agree with rahman, indeed in some time in the future, the trend is mobile computing, tablet or maybe even a smartphone have the capability like desktop,

but right now, processor for desktop and mobile gadget is different, desktop still use x86 based proc and gadget using SOC proc which is RISC proc I believe, so we need until x86 goes to gadget, ahahahahaha

just my 0.02 cent, I'm not an IT master

There were attempts of x86 going tablet, but they all failed because of terrible battery life.

I'm pretty sure that in the near future there will be proper GIS services on ARM chips (such as iPad or Android); they are capable of it. I mean, look at nowadays devices, they are almost as quick as my 6 year old computer.

The biggest issue is: Who is going to be the developer developing a proper GIS program for ARM devices? It won't be ESRI due to their Microsoft bond. And Open Source might not be so user friendly to come to the App Store.

In my opinion, what we need is a massive simplification of GIS applications, not the huge bloated cumbersome GIS applications we have now.

I'm sure that by the time that happens, hardware has advanced so much that running GIS apps on tablets are a non-issue.

Also, the iPod Nano replacement program provides you with a brand new iPod; because they ran out of old ones.

hello hariasa

indeed battery is the problem right now, we need some breakthrough on that in the future

hem, wew I never knew bout what you called "the bond" between ESRI and microsoft? please the detail, I would love to hear that,

regards,

It's kinda off topic now since we started about iPods, so here are some links to the followup threads:

Windows 8 and ARM vs x86:

http://www.gisarea.com/index.php?topic=2027.0

ESRI and Microsoft

http://www.gisarea.com/index.php?topic=2026.0