Esri Acquires 3D Software Company Procedural

Lurker

Hey hey, I think ESRI little bit serious than the past regarded to 3d area

check this out :

Esri has acquired Procedural, one of the world’s leading software companies for creating stunning 3D urban environments from typical 2D data. Urban planners, architects, video game developers, and movie studios around the world use Procedural’s CityEngine product to create 3D cities at any resolution.

complete news here :

[hide]

http://www.esri.com/software/landing_pages/arcgis/city-engine.html

[/hide]

Hem, as far as I know, PROCEDURAL is well known vendor with their famous product cityengine for 3d especially in urban area (building, road, etc)

how do you think? I cant wait what the next ESRI product related to 3D modelling  :laugh:

Nice move! But I think its a bit late for ESRI to underestand the markets strategy and recent need. ESRI should work hard to develop its web mapping solution and geocoding facilities rather than attracting 3d architects. People will not wait for ESRI, they will surely go for open source web apps and stuffs. On the other hand ArcGIS still belongs to experts, not for everyday folks. The package yet to offer more for non-professionals. Giants like Autocad and Leica will surely want to take the risk. 

hehehehe, ESRI is giant too in Spatial data, its a standart industry for spatial processing, but I think this move is to enhanced the weakest point of ESRI, 3D is horrible in ArcGIS, with Arcscene for example, with those ugly display, Sometimes I got crash and it suck my PC resources

I hope we will see the progress

regards, MOD