Help with GIS and Applied Ecology

Laura

Hi All, 

I am Laura, I am new and I am not much of an expert of GIS even though I am using it much for my PhD project. I would really like to ask for your help regarding an issue I am facing.

I am trying to analyze the movements of deer populations among different hunting areas through the years. I have the maps with the densities (one for each year) and I would need to have some information about the movement that the deer made among those areas. For example, I would really like to know which area deer moved from and which one is the closest to be occupied. Would that be possible with some GIS tool?

Thank you

I am really sorry if this is not the right section for questions, but this forum is really big and I was not sure :)

Edited by Laura
Maybe it's not the right section for questions

The first thing (I think) should be to find the methodologies used for the maps you have, and the people who made them. If someone have already identified the spatial distribution, then your work should start on top of theirs. I have seen GPS-based tracking of wildlife (resident wild birds) to research their behavioral pattern. The research was possible because the particular species usually roam in groups/ herds, so we used small GPS trackers for one of them which sends coordinates in a remote server. The coordinates are later used to plot data over Google Map to see their feeding area.    

Hawth's Analysis Tools

Hawth's Analysis Tools is an extension for ESRI's ArcGIS (specifically ArcMap). It is designed to perform spatial analysis and functions that cannot be conveniently accomplished with out-of-the-box ArcGIS.

Most of these analysis tools have been written within the context of the ecological applications I am involved in (movement analysis, resource selection, predator prey interactions and trophic cascades). However, they have been created in such a way as to be as broadly applicable as possible such that I hope people from many disciplines will find use in this set of tools.

There are three types of tools in this kit. First, there are simple tools that automate mundane tasks (e.g. deleting many fields at once from a table). These will likely be useful to anyone.

Second, there are tools that are designed to be part of an analysis workflow. For instance, random point (or stratified random point) generation, minimum convex polygon delineation, summarizing raster layers in various ways, etc. These too are likely to be useful to many people.

Finally, there are tools that target specific, ecology related analyses (for instance, various movement model applications). These will likely only be of interest to ecologists.

Specific detail of the tools can be found on the Tools page.

Hawth's Tools is FREE. You are free to distribute it and install it anywhere you choose. As there are continual updates and additions to the tools, it is recommended that you check this website from time to time for more recent versions.

I am always happy to hear constructive suggestions and comments about these tools.

http://www.spatialecology.com/htools/overview.php

Hawths Tools no ArcGis 10 e 10.1

• Like 1