Calculate crop biomass from using Sentinel 2A

zsoooc

Dear All,

I am a begineer in remote sensing. Now, I would like to calculate relative biomass maps like this: http://www.talkingfields.de/eng/products/base_map.php

or absoulute biomass liek this: http://www.talkingfields.de/eng/products/biomass_map.php

I want to use this for crop monitoring (like talkingfields, but I didn't fiend any useful information about their methods).

I using Sentinel 2 data. Do you have any suggestions for me? Or could you offer any free scientific papers which can be useful?

Thany you!

• 2 weeks later...

Dear deepgis

Thank you, I know this link. She computed only NDVI and NDWI values, not biomass. I don't know how to estimate biomass from vegetation indices.

Dear Zsoooc,

You need to collect ground reference yield data (yield map or long-term experimental plots) to validate spectral data like a supervised classification, More uncertainty the soil heterogenity is reletive high in Carpatian basin

BW

• 2 weeks later...

Are you interested in yield monitoring or biomass monitoring?  These are two separate metrics in which the former refers to crop production and the latter refers to the entire vegetative structure.  For the sake of this discussion, let's stay with biomass.

1. Absolute biomass: estimating this metric from remotely sensed data requires field data for modeling.....period.

2. Relative biomass: simply refers to an increase or decrease compared to the baseline. This can actually be conducted using NDVI because of the high positive correlation between NDVI and biomass, and yield, and LAI, and etc.  Let's assume you do not have field data to establish how strong NDVI correlates with your particular area of interest, but there's enough literature to cite that will support using NDVI as a proxy or surrogate variable for biomass.  I don't know what your monitoring period is, but you need to establish a robust baseline which cannot be captured within the Sentinel-2 record alone.  You will need to develop a time series dataset composed of Landsat and Sentinel-2.  The simple workflow is create a multitemporal NDVI time series dataset over several years to develop an average NDVI for the peak growing period (i.e. biomass metric) and compare current observations against.  Your resulting statistic will be the difference from the baseline, or relative biomass.

• Like 1