Req : DSM (Digital Surface Model) Generated from satellite imagery

the methods are (those definitions come from wikipedia):

Image correlation :

Other kinds of stereoscopic pairs can be employed using the digital image correlation method, where two optical images are acquired with different angles taken from the same pass of an airplane or an Earth Observation Satellite (such as the HRS instrument of SPOT5 or the VNIR band of ASTER).

A special case, called stereophotogrammetry, involves estimating the three-dimensional coordinates of points on an object employing measurements made in two or more photographic images taken from different positions (see stereoscopy). Common points are identified on each image. A line of sight (or ray) can be constructed from the camera location to the point on the object. It is the intersection of these rays (triangulation) that determines the three-dimensional location of the point. More sophisticated algorithms can exploit other information about the scene that is known a priori, for example symmetries, in some cases allowing reconstructions of 3-D coordinates from only one camera position. Stereophotogrammetry is emerging as a robust non-contacting measurement technique to determine dynamic characteristics and mode shapes of non-rotating[5][6] and rotating structures.[7][8]

I dont think ArcGIS has the capability to extract DEM from stereo pair image with their function except there is an extension out there

you can use ERDAS or other remote sensing software to do that

basically, you need images that overlap each other, and the DEM can only extracted on the overlap section only, IMHO

• Like 1

it's a good idea to try with aster.. maybe with socet set you will create a DEM?

i tried to create some DSM with multiple Very High Resolution satellite imagery (not stereo) with the NGATE and ASM Methods in Socet..

well the results are not perfect and I don't really get how it works behind the software, still it gives an idea how the region is..

• Like 1

it's a good idea to try with aster.. maybe with socet set you will create a DEM?

i tried to create some DSM with multiple Very High Resolution satellite imagery (not stereo) with the NGATE and ASM Methods in Socet..

well the results are not perfect and I don't really get how it works behind the software, still it gives an idea how the region is..

It is intresting..I want to use ArcGIS to achive it

Stereoscopic Principle involves 2 (or more) images of the same object captured from DIFFERENT positions.

for presition is very importante the Base/Heigth ratio (Base: distance between images; heigth: Distance from image to object)

In classic aerial photogrammetry a good B/H ratio round 0.6

The case of multiple "Very High Resolution satellite imagery (not stereo)" cited by intertronic, could obtain poor results due B/H ratio.

Modern Photogrammetric techniques adresses ray-cloud photogrammetry, that (in very simplified words) involve several images of the same object (and several correlations), but this is not apllicable yet to satellite images.

Aster images offers a good B/H ratio, (I belive is close to 0.6, but not sure). Process is relatively simple in some softwares. But I don't recall any modeule to do this in ArcGIS:

Good option for software for this are: PCI Geomática, ASTER DTM (for ENVI); ENvi with DTM module, Erdas.

You can also download  ASTER DEM Products from the web.

Final TIP: The use GCPs (Ground Control Points) IS VERY IMPORTANT. 

If you can't afford get them on field with a GPS (differential GPS), you can donwnload a Envi processed Image and a DEM, so use some ponts from that dataset.

Regards

Art

• Like 2

Stereoscopic Principle involves 2 (or more) images of the same object captured from DIFFERENT positions.

for presition is very importante the Base/Heigth ratio (Base: distance between images; heigth: Distance from image to object)

In classic aerial photogrammetry a good B/H ratio round 0.6

The case of multiple "Very High Resolution satellite imagery (not stereo)" cited by intertronic, could obtain poor results due B/H ratio.

Modern Photogrammetric techniques adresses ray-cloud photogrammetry, that (in very simplified words) involve several images of the same object (and several correlations), but this is not apllicable yet to satellite images.

Aster images offers a good B/H ratio, (I belive is close to 0.6, but not sure). Process is relatively simple in some softwares. But I don't recall any modeule to do this in ArcGIS:

Good option for software for this are: PCI Geomática, ASTER DTM (for ENVI); ENvi with DTM module, Erdas.

You can also download  ASTER DEM Products from the web.

Final TIP: The use GCPs (Ground Control Points) IS VERY IMPORTANT. 

If you can't afford get them on field with a GPS (differential GPS), you can donwnload a Envi processed Image and a DEM, so use some ponts from that dataset.

Regards

Art

Hi,

there is this company called vricon how say they use satellite imagery (not stereo) in order to create a 3D model (DSM). They claim without any GCP the product they calculate has a good precision with 3m accuracy.. so how do they do it?

http://www.vricon.com/technology/

http://www.vricon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Vricon_DSM_print.pdf

They use te same principle for 3D recosntruction: Stereovision.

They simple calim, "the imagery does not need to be captured as traditional stereo pairs"

but they use the stereoscopic pronciple.

About GCPs there only 4 options:

1) They got a HUGE base of existants GCPs (or georreferenced images)

2) They got very precise oribital parameters (Similar to classic External Orientation)

3) they got any comercial secret unknow by scientists.

4) they lie (I don't think so)

;)

I'll like to add some reference numbers to explain my statement

Here goes some numbrers about the need of accurate orbital parameters.

A satellite height between 500 and 700km, implies velocities betwen 7.52 and 7.62 Km/s

So... if you want satellite position better than 1 meter you need an accurate position

10.000 times by second (no GPS got that rate)

So.. we must interpolate positions...

Attitude: an error of 1 arc second means at 700 Km,  3.39m   (2.42m at 500km),

so... we need an attitude accuracy of 1/3"  or better...

Thats goes for an absolute geolocation of 3meters (despite heigths)

Obviously you need attitude data at 10KHz rate (10.000 mesures, by second)

Again. we must interpolate.

The good news: At those heigths orbits are mostly smooths, and position and attitude

changes are not violent, as in an aircraft.

The Toutin’s Rigorous RPC Model (Toutin, 2002), was the better choice for that.

A good paper on

"COMPARISON OF DIFFERENT MATHEMATICAL MODELS

ON THE ACCURACY OF THE ORTHORECTIFICATION

OF ASTER IMAGERY"

could be found here:

http://www.isprs.org/proceedings/XXXVI/1-W41/makaleler/OK_Model_ASTER.pdf

Art

Edited by Art409
  • Like 1