urban heat island

Raghu Veer Degala

I have a problem I want to find the land surface temperature of Bangkok using landsat8. I have everything to get it but the problem is landsat images are obtained during morning time but the maximum temperature will be afternoon period. How can I get the exact maximum temperatures of a day. is there any other data or procedure to get maximum temperature. help me

thank you

I have a problem I want to find the land surface temperature of Bangkok using landsat8. I have everything to get it but the problem is landsat images are obtained during morning time but the maximum temperature will be afternoon period. How can I get the exact maximum temperatures of a day. is there any other data or procedure to get maximum temperature. help me

thank you

The exact moment the Landsat 8 satellite is passing above Bangkok you can find it in the metadata file of the Landsat image.

If it passes in the morning, then maybe you should find another satellite platform that might fly closer to the afternoon period, like ASTER or MODIS to estimate the Land Surface Temperature (LST).

You should also have meteorological data from a meteorological station.

Remember that thermal satellite images estimate the LST (the Surface Urban Heat Island - SUHI), not the air temperature ( classic Urban Heat Island - air temperature). So, there are 2 distinctions between SUHI and UHI.

• Like 2

The exact moment the Landsat 8 satellite is passing above Bangkok you can find it in the metadata file of the Landsat image.

If it passes in the morning, then maybe you should find another satellite platform that might fly closer to the afternoon period, like ASTER or MODIS to estimate the Land Surface Temperature (LST).

You should also have meteorological data from a meteorological station.

Remember that thermal satellite images estimate the LST (the Surface Urban Heat Island - SUHI), not the air temperature ( classic Urban Heat Island - air temperature). So, there are 2 distinctions between SUHI and UHI.

the landsat is generally passes during morning time so i can not use landsat if i want to use i need some method so i can find maximum temperature.

and i have the meteorological data.sir UHI or SUHI is correct approach ??

• 4 months later...

the landsat is generally passes during morning time so i can not use landsat if i want to use i need some method so i can find maximum temperature.

and i have the meteorological data.sir UHI or SUHI is correct approach ??

as aranghelul mention, you should use UHI than SUHI. 

SUHI refer to LST, and meteo data refer to UHI.

CMIIW

• 3 weeks later...

thank you

I think that soon could consider using Sentinel 3

Greetings,

• Like 1