Hello friends,

I think geospatial software (commercial and free), user cases, and problem solving issues related to people who uses mac as operative system, would worth having.

I will list only a few of them (the ones I use or am interested in) to show that out there it might be a potential pool of users interested of what gisarea has to offer: tutorials, software, and solutions based on users' knowledge and experiences.

Here is the gis/remote sensing list of software available for mac:
  • qgis
  • saga
  • spatialite
  • grass gis
  • otb/monteverdi2
  • envi/idl
  • tntmips
  • postgresql/postgis
  • cartographica

Usually, installation and troubleshooting of software on mac is quite different than windows, so having a topic forum dedicated to all things mac will help a lot of users. Also, for people that use ArcGIS virtualized on mac (as I do) would be great to have a place to go.

Please fell free to share your thoughts!

Cheers,

GSQ

Edited by gis.sig.qc

Sharing and discussed forum for mac...im mac user 5 year ago, and ever have to emigrate all GIS soft from virtual Windows,  i tested cartographica and not like me how it manage the data and layout..still new and dummies ....is better QGIS, just that nothing like the loved ArcGIS...regards.

what if mac and linux in one place, I feel mac only add little fraction of stuff

and besides, mac is *nix variant :D

and for discussion , sub forum already set by gis/rs themes,

any idea? simply add mac/nix in each sub forum discussion are ugly :P

• 8 months later...

Mac really lack of GIS Support, linux support better than Mac

I think mac users are not quite worried. OSGEO.org support mac from the very beginning. Pro users already know a workaround with QGIS and GRASS. CAD users have Autodesk products. Architects, engineers and scientists who use GIS already have their customized mac-native software. Linux users know that whatever happens people will need a linux powered server somewhere to protect their files. Windows .... is pure fun!  :P

• Like 1