Our forum made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ads blocker.

• Announcements

• EmperoR

Dear Guests   12/24/2016

Welcome to the GIS-AREA. like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of GIS-AREA by signing in or creating an account here. Once you have created your account and have introduced yourself to our community, you can start new topics, reply to others, subscribe interesting threads, get your customize profiles, make news friends, and others nice stuff. To make your stay as pleasant and constructive as possible, please don't forget to read through our pinned forum rules and board guidelines in each section before you do anything else.
msig0000

How to convert Garmin IMG file into shapefile format

msig0000    354

Hi all,

Could anyone tell  me how to convert unlocked garmin img file into shapefile

N.B. I tried Gpsmapedit but this fails when i press OK to export (see attached image)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tdrig7bbztre49p/gpsmapedit.png?dl=0

Thanks in advance

Edited by msig0000

intertronic    101

Qlandkarte GT is the successor to Qlandkarte. It supports Geotiff, has a much more advanced map viewer (2d/3d), and can read Garmin Typ files.

QLandkarte GT is the ultimate outdoor aficionado's tool. It supports GPS maps in GeoTiff format as well as Garmin's img vector map format. Additional it is the PC side front end to QLandkarte M, a moving map application for mobile devices. And it fills the gap Garmin leaves in refusing to support Linux. QLandkarte GT is the proof that writing portable applications for Unix, Windows and OSX is feasible with a minimum of overhead. No excuses!

QLandkarte GT does replace the original QLandkarte with a much more flexible architecture. It's not limited to a map format or device. Thus if you think your Magellan GPS or other should be supported, join the team.

Additionally it is a front end to the GDAL tools, to make georeferencing scanned maps feasible for the normal user. Compared to similar tools like QGis, it's target users are more on the consumer side than on the scientific one. QLandkarte GT might not let you select every possible feature of the GDAL tools, but it will simplify their use to the demands of most users.(source www.qlandkarte.org as of 08 December 2008)

QLandkarte cannot read Garmin .img files directly. You need a .tdb file (mkgmap option --tdbfile) to open .img files.

pdogz    1

Well, its pretty easy, you save your garmin img as polish format then use global mapper to extract (export) to esri arcgis shapefile.  worked for me..

jonah    154

Well, its pretty easy, you save your garmin img as polish format then use global mapper to extract (export) to esri arcgis shapefile.  worked for me..

??????

darksabersan    5,263

Hi msig0000,

I just have look at your image that to put on Dropbox.

First thinks that I can see is that you have multiples *.img files. My point of view is that you have to separate them in order to get only one displayed within you viewer.

I say that because your export windows schema from GPSMapEdit looks empty. So maybe the problem is coming from there.

Have look on mine.

v2xke0.jpg

Note: If you are using the version bring by bigears then you will have this blank schema.

;)

darksabersan.

pdogz    1

??????

I simply meant using GPSMapEdit to save your garmin img as polish format then use global mapper to extract (export) to esri arcgis shapefile...

• Like 1

stuart1974    37

Hi 

Garmin NT Maps can not be converted into a shapefile, there is no software till date that can do this.

Non NT old Garmin maps can be converted by first unlocking the map and the by using GPS Mapedit to same in Polish Format.

After that you can convert into Shapefile using registered version of GPS Mapedit.

Stuart

• Like 1

upay82    2
On 8/29/2016 at 3:45 PM, stuart1974 said:

Hi 

Garmin NT Maps can not be converted into a shapefile, there is no software till date that can do this.

Non NT old Garmin maps can be converted by first unlocking the map and the by using GPS Mapedit to same in Polish Format.

After that you can convert into Shapefile using registered version of GPS Mapedit.

Stuart

You can actually convert NT into non-NT using GMapTool.

First, you split the img file into subfiles, the result would be a GMP format.
With the help of THIS TOOL, then you can extract the GMP into five type of subfiles (.LBL, .NET, .NOD, .RGN and .TRE).
Recompile those five subfiles into non-NT IMG file with GMapTool (use join tab).

Using GPSMapedit you can save the non-NT IMG into polish format.
And finally convert it into shapefile either using registered version of GPSMapedit or Global Mapper.

Edited by upay82