Contour to Raster, Heavy File : How to ?

Redoxi

Hello everyone. 

I have a problem these days that I don't manage to solve by myself. I need to convert a heavy contour file to a detailed raster image.

The contour was generated from Lidar data (resolution 1m or 5m) and the area is about 1000 km^2.

The objective is to generate a raster with a 10 m resolution using the Top to raster tool.

For about 50 km^2 there is no problem at all and the computation quite fast. But for the entire dataset, it is just "impossible". I do not need more memory or CPU. Just Arcgis who is crashing every time.

I think I would have to split my data. But this would be a very repetitive work.

Anyone here to help me a bit ? Any e-Book of tutorial that could help me ? Until now, I have been using the basic functions of Arcgis. The work I have to do require to learn a bit more I guess.

I'm good at progamming in PHP and MATLAB. I don't know python but i don't fear.

Thanks in advance.

• 9 months later...

dude, this might be wont help and probably you already did it, but could you try to messin around with output file format? from my experience, using solid raster format like GEOTIFF or IMAGINE IMG gave more stable processing than ESRI GRID or other ESRI native format, 

Its true, but primarily you need to run the process then the out put would save in any format. Problem is when running the process. Due to low cache memory and page file (I have windows PC) the process fails to run.