How to make cliff lines for Topo to Raster tool?

Hi people,
I want to make a DEM with cliffs in ArcGIS 10.1 using Topo to Raster tool.
I've read this sentence 100 times:
All lines must be oriented so that the left-hand side of the line is on the low side of the cliff and the right hand side is the high side of the cliff.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//009z0000006s000000
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//005m000000qq000000

left-hand and right-hand side confuse me a lot. What if cliff rises from right to left? Did they mean to digitize them from bottom to top instead?
I still don't understand how to digitize cliff lines for this tool and how they should look. Can you please provide an image of digitized cliff lines feature class? All I found is about using contours and elevation points, no examples of using cliff lines.

I got it.

ANUDEM v5.3 User Guide gives more understandable explanation:

Cliff lines must be digitised in the DIRECTION so that the left-hand side of the line is on the low side of the cliff and the right-hand side is the high side of the cliff. This permits ANUDEM to remove elevation data points close to the cliff that are positioned on the wrong side of the cliff as the data points and cliffs are incorporated into the grid.

Of course, this doesn't apply to escarpments (not vertical or near vertical), so here I should use another method.