selecting polygons that share XX percents from another polygon (all are in the same layer)

krooven

I have a layer with many overlapping polygons. I want to select / delet all polygons that another single polygon contain at least 90% (or any other value) of them.

I'm using ARCGIS 10 (can get access to other programs)

Many Thanks

Hi

Thanks for your fast reply but the polygons are not totaly contain each other, but overlapping in some ways, I want only the ones who have at least XX percent of the polygon cover by another polygon to be select/delet.

Thanks

I want only the ones who have at least XX percent of the polygon cover by another polygon to be select/delet.

Thanks

cover by which means? Area or other? please specify. You can use Geodatabase topology.. Please read here: ---

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//01mm0000000m000000

or you can follow this steps: ---

1 easy.. intersect and then disolve (assuming the attributes will disolve the overlaps...)

Other

• USe Unions to output complete dataset with the overlaps.
  • copy to a personal GDB
  • close arcmap
  • open the PGDB in access
  • add a field called DeleteMe.
  • create a "Create table" query using totals and group by the ShapeAreaNew: round([shape_area[,4) make sure you have the Unique ID in this query(eg object ID) and select none of first/last/max/min.
  • create the new table
  • create a new "Update" query and joint the new table with the GIS table using the UniqueID(eg obkjectID) showing all records from the GIS table(this is a outer or inner join)
  • make this query update the DeleteMe field to "Not Meeeee" where there is a relationship based on existing in the other table.
  • then back to arcmap
  • select by location: based on the intersection output to highlight ALL of the overlaping polygons ONLY!
  • select by attributes on delete me to remove from selection "Not Meeeee"
  • Done!

Or

you can download this script: ----

http://arcscripts.esri.com/details.asp?dbid=16700

So far my understanding, you cannot do it using any single tool/action. You may need to use python and use the the following hints:

use search cursor (descending order by shape area), since you said 90% or more area contain means, your one polygon's 5-10% buffer will cover 100% contain, and selected small polygon can marge/delete with the larger one. this way the all polygon loop to solve ....

Funny, but might interest you.

Hi  all

I want to hone my question. 

I'm looking for tool (probaly need to use python or something) that can iterate this command/logic:

For every polygon see if it cover by (spatially, geometry overllap by) another *single* polygon in at least 90 percent of the first polygon. 

If it does then mark it in some way - thats all.

Thank you very much