ArcGIS Pro: ESRI answer for x64

rahmansunbeam

Just found this page about all the upcoming releases from ESRI in 2014. It seems ESRI finally realized the heat of all the growing power in the geospatial market. It is really hard to believe that a market leading software doesn't even support more than one core of a pc !

Check these out,

section_1.png

What is ArcGIS Pro?
ArcGIS Pro is a new application that will be released as part of ArcGIS for Desktop at version 10.3 (which is planned for later half of 2014  ;) ). It is designed to be the premier application for visualizing, editing, and performing analysis using local content, or content from your ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS organization. Using ArcGIS Pro, you can author content in both 2D and 3D and publish it as feature, map, and analysis services, 3D Web Scenes, and Web Maps. It is a 64-bit, multi-threaded application with a modern user experience that runs on the Windows platform.

Will ArcGIS Pro replace ArcGIS for Desktop (ArcMap)?
No. ArcGIS Pro can run side by side with your existing ArcMap application. At its initial release, ArcGIS Pro will not have some of the functionality in ArcMap. However, it will have capabilities not available in ArcMap such as:

project based workflows
combined 3D/2D visualization
64-bit support
multiple layout support
and more

Will I be able to use ArcGIS Pro with earlier versions of ArcGIS for Desktop?
Yes, even though ArcGIS Pro will be released with ArcGIS 10.3 for Desktop, customers current on maintenance who are using earlier versions of Desktop will be able to download it and use it.

Can I migrate documents from ArcGIS for Desktop into ArcGIS Pro?
Yes. Map Documents (.mxd), Scenes (.sxd) and Globes (.3DD) can be imported into ArcGIS Pro. Once in ArcGIS Pro these can be saved as Projects (.aprx). Projects are not backward compatible; however, the data used by the application can be accessed by either ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro through the geodatabase so there can be collaboration at a data level. Services published using ArcGIS Pro can be used and shared with ArcMap. Also, ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro will run side by side, on the same machine, so it will be possible to use both applications for accessing and working with local data and online services.

Can I get ArcGIS Pro if I don't have a license for ArcGIS for Desktop?
No. ArcGIS Pro is part of ArcGIS for Desktop, and only customers who are entitled (current on maintenance) to ArcGIS for Desktop will be able to receive ArcGIS Pro.

Will ArcGIS Pro have multiple license levels (i.e., Basic, Standard, and Advanced)?
Yes. ArcGIS Pro will come in three versions that correspond to the ArcGIS for Desktop license levels: Basic, Standard, and Advanced. More functionality is included as we move from Basic to Standard to Advanced.

Can I use my licensed ArcGIS for Desktop extensions with ArcGIS Pro?
Yes. With the initial release of ArcGIS Pro, the following extensions can be used with the ArcGIS Pro as long as they are licensed for ArcGIS for Desktop: 3D Analyst, Spatial Analyst, Network Analyst, Workflow Manager, and Data Reviewer.

Can I use ArcGIS Pro on my smartphone or tablet?
No. ArcGIS Pro will only run on the desktop (Windows).

What are the system requirements for ArcGIS Pro?
ArcGIS Pro requires Windows 7 or Windows 8 on a 64-bit machine with a recommended 8 GB of RAM or more. More specific information on system requirements is still coming.

Note: ArcGIS Pro will not be supported for Windows XP or Vista.

Will ArcGIS for Desktop be supported natively on a Mac?
Currently, Esri has no plans to release ArcGIS for Desktop on Mac OS. However, a new application called Explorer for ArcGIS will be released in early Q2, 2014. In its initial release, it will support iOS 7 and be available for download from Apple's App store. In a future release we also plan on bringing this native app to the Android and Mac platforms. The initial release of the app will allow you to discover, use, and share maps in ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS. A future release will also have authoring capabilities.

In addition, developers can build custom apps for this platform using our ArcGIS Runtime SDK for OS X.

For additional Mac and iOS support options visit the Esri EdCommunity website.

Will ArcGIS for Desktop support 64-bit?
At ArcGIS for Desktop 10.1 SP1, Esri released an optional 64-bit background geoprocessing module that executed tasks in 64-bit software. The 10.3 release of ArcGIS will feature ArcGIS Pro, a native 64-bit application that is included with ArcGIS for Desktop.

• Like 8

So, correct me if I'm wrong but.... ESRI has created ArcGIS Pro as an additional software to ArcMap in order to address needs that should be included in the original software. Wonder if the current software design won't allow certain changes and that's why they are implementing yet another piece of software.

Workflow from ESRI (if they had their way).... ArcPad -> ArcGIS Desktop -> ArcGIS Pro -> ArcGIS Server -> GeoPortal. So instead of reducing the workflow to make it more streamlined for GIS professionals... they are introducing more potential steps...

Why the hell do we need another production level software to go along with ArcMap?? FIX THE PROBLEMS IN ARCMAP PLEASE AND STOP SCREWING AROUND! After 13 years of ESRI (products, going to conferences, etc...) all I can see is what's called a "Kansas City Shuffle"...  You look right, while they go left.

As was mentioned above, I think it is same as Arcmap but it is built for 64bit systems. They want to test it using few geoprocessing tools and then maybe gonna transfer all geoprocessing tools to 64bit. 

So, correct me if I'm wrong but.... ESRI has created ArcGIS Pro as an additional software to ArcMap in order to address needs that should be included in the original software. Wonder if the current software design won't allow certain changes and that's why they are implementing yet another piece of software.

Workflow from ESRI (if they had their way).... ArcPad -> ArcGIS Desktop -> ArcGIS Pro -> ArcGIS Server -> GeoPortal. So instead of reducing the workflow to make it more streamlined for GIS professionals... they are introducing more potential steps...

Why the hell do we need another production level software to go along with ArcMap?? FIX THE PROBLEMS IN ARCMAP PLEASE AND STOP SCREWING AROUND! After 13 years of ESRI (products, going to conferences, etc...) all I can see is what's called a "Kansas City Shuffle"...  You look right, while they go left.

implementing yet another piece of software.

Couldn't but agree more. It's an age old strategy. The more choices in the market, the more share they bring. How many packages can you remember in the MS office in 2000 and 2010, or Autocad, or Oracle. The more the merrier! But these names had to survive a lot of bump in the road, surely more than ArcGIS.  

Holding the name on top for almost 5 decade, ESRI proved that they are the best you could ever have for a one-stop geospatial solution. What they missed is a good competition. After this many days ESRI has a huge 'sms-generation' as user, sugar coated with 'Facebook' and 'Twitter', and will try anything to get things done. This is going to be bad! So why not put everything in a browser right after their facebook page. :P

Yes, we agree that the desktop version is messed up in so many level that It's better to start all over. Let us welcome the new geoprocessing engine. Let us wait for some stylishly sexy error messages.    

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So far, ArcGIS is the biggest "quick fix" on GIS history where all the codes from the good old ArcINFO were put togheter in the ArcToolbox. Luckly, the interface was spot on (proof is that all others have follow) and it allows to work with map projections on the fly. But till now it remais an arcaic 32-bit of code lines gathered in a suspicious list.

Edited by geot7

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm pretty sure that there are quite a few ArcToolbox tools that are not optimized to run on 64-bit architecture (at least not yet).  Is there a list available that points out which ArcToolbox tools are 64-bit, and which ones are not?  It would be really helpful as ArcGIS Pro is still a bit clunky to use (i.e. it pays to prepare one's ArcGIS Pro project in advance before geoprocessing).