ArcGIS 10.2... WTF?!

group5e

I want to buy ArcGIS 10.2 products... I really do. But I just can't bring myself to march to the bosses office and explain why we need this release because the fact is we don't. ESRI has managed to take a product with hardly any changes of significance and roll into a new version instead of an update. Instead of focusing on the multitude of problems that have plagued 10.1 throughout its lifecycle, they've decided to not fix the product and build on it even more.

They haven't addressed (among other things):

• The 1000's of bugs and errors that crop up all the time. I have keep error journals so I know what to do next time something happens because the ESRI help is usually pretty vague or doesn't work. ESRI support? I am my own "ESRI Support".
  • Outdated and clunky interface.
  • Mediocre KML/KMZ support compared to other geospatial software.
  • Better CAD support within ArcMap (it's poor to average at best still)
  • Better production quality maps (i.e. not having to resort to Illustrator for most of the work).
  • Poor GPS support. Although GPX is a standard, what about the other multitudes of formats that are used?

Its clear that although ArcGIS bills itself as a one-stop solution for GIS needs, it isn't. The bottom line is that most people still need another "go-to" program that will do the things that ArcGIS fails to do. Want better KML/KMZ support... gotta use GlobalMapper (or something equivalent). Geoprocessing task failing all the time.... gotta use QGIS (or something equivalent). Want a nicer looking map because ESRI's production quality sucks... gotta use Illustrator. GPS files not being handled properly... gotta go convert it in another software and then bring into Arc... wait a minute... might as well use GlobalMapper again.

ESRI is supposedly the Mercedes-Benz of GIS software... so why is it driving like a mini-van? More and more I find myself thinking "I might as well use (x) program because ArcGIS will just be a hassle...".

I've been an ESRI user since ArcGIS 3.2 and I still remember those days fondly. The days when you had to save your work every minute because a dreaded Dr. Watson error might crop up... Not much has changed except that there are now more errors. Its almost like the presence of ESRI online-help is an excuse to have all these errors in their software. Someone needs to tell ESRI that sometimes less is more.

That's my rant for the day. Thank you to anyone who chose to read it and I'm sorry if it was long-winded. Just don't get me started on ArcGIS Server or ArcPad software... holy crap... I need a panic room!

Edited by group5e
  • Like 4

• Administrators

I know your feeling  :D ,

feel free to post arcgis annoyances here,  :lol:

I've read long time ago, person who post 'bout arcgis annoyances, interesting topic  :rolleyes:

right now , I try to learn QGIS + GRASS, nice piece of software and its free  :wub:

Good to see a nice original topic after so many time. 

Sometimes I think ESRI actually stopped thinking about their software. They think they don't have much to worry because almost all the geospatial market is under their hood. After the 'Arc' era, the core of the software didn't saw much change. If you do a little research, you can always find their outdated help section, 'prehistoric' vb-style code syntax, old and outdated file-type support in some areas who doesn't exist today, and lot more. 

The features they use to advertise are the newest extensions on top of old one....result *crushing*.

I guess !!

ps. if I were you, I'd have make a topic in ESRI forum and post these words there. ;)  

• Like 1

You hate it, but you must use it, just like windows.LOL

Yup. Unfortunately it is industry standard. Most of our stuff is in file geodatabase format. It does have its conveniences and advantages too. I guess I just want something to work as intended as opposed to having to find another solution all the time when paying that much money.

You hate it, but you must use it, just like windows.LOL

I wont say we use it bcoz we must, bcoz it's easy to break rules. I know there are lots of organization who actually force employees to use genuine content. And - of course, there are others who sell their 'services' more than their products. 

After the day, everyone got to eat something !  ;)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

ESRI is just a greedy corporation that wants to monopolize the sector with stupid proprietary formats, incompatibility with open standards and crappy software. They buy companies, and if that isn't possible, make their own mediocre product which everyone will use because it is integrated and because of name building.

They don't care about the consumer. They don't care about GIS. All they care is cold hard cash. They are just a bunch of Ferengi.

But not only ESRI is like this, also ERDAS, Microsoft, Apple, Samsung.... It's just how the world is.

• Like 1