Arcgis 10.1 low speed....

maunaloa

Hi everyone!

I hope, this topic will be a good place in this General Topic. So: i have a new notebook, i think its kool, i7 cpu, 12 gb ram, 1 tb hdd (old sata3 not ssd). Thought, the ArcGis 10.1 + windows 7 64 will be fine..but not.

The main problem is by opening and using many rasters. The ecw file zoom in-out is pretty kool, but the jpg, png, other raster slooowing down the system. Not only the gis program, it's sloowing the main system too. The arcgis uses only 300-600 mb ram, and few cpu, so how can it slow down the pc?

My main question is: have anyone had this problem too?

cheers

Edited by maunaloa
  • Like 1

using cache management could be helpful :)

and take a look at this

http://blogs.technet...17/3155406.aspx

update: i forgot, that i'm using norton ghost. if the system speed is under the "mirrored" 100%, for example after many program installation, many surfing it can be 60-70 % !

So, the upper question is a bit complex: the windows can kill itself, and the user can make it faster:) The GIS program, parallel with this progress, will be slooower and slower....

By global mapper, i dont see any sloowing, but the ArcGis (OrkGis)- i think - is very system speed sensible.

I installed arcgis 10.1 sp1, and after the installation, arcgis can't open ecw files (omg!). Dropping a window "invalid raster dataset..". Anyone have solution?

cheers

Edited by maunaloa

You have to go to regedit and HKEY_LOCAL-MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Arcgis/

There is a folder there that you have to change about raster. I did it in the past when i was still using v10. I read it in ESRI bloggers. totally forgotten the word. Have to retrieve it soon. I use global mapper now to handle .ecw files especially if it is a large file then.

• 2 months later...

HI!

Some update:

The Arcgis 10.1 (with or without sp1) freezing by every 20-40 minutes on my 64 windows 7, 12 gb ram core i7 machine. But with my old, windows xp 32bit laptop, it works fine. Why? The second thing: i've just bored to start again arcmap after freezing, and i've used the googli to see, anyone have that thing too: The answer: yes! Many people cryin to the esri, to make something:

http://forums.arcgis...hing-frequently

after some reading, scrolling, i've found that on that site:

"...We seem to have solved our crashing problem.

On Friday, Esri Canada tech support walked me through (1) repairing my installation, and (2) resetting my profile. I have not had a crash since. My colleague did the same yesterday, and he has not had a crash since.

You may want to contact your own Esri tech support for full instructions for doing this, particularly as one step involves messing with your Windows Registry. I do not claim to be any kind of expert in this, so use the steps outlined below with caution, and only if you know what you're doing.

REPAIR ARCGIS 10.1 INSTALLATION

- close all applications

- go to Add/Remove Programs

- go to ArcGIS 10.1 Desktop, select Change/Remove

- select Repair

- wait for completion

- do NOT start ArcMap when done

RESET USER PROFILE

- ensure ArcMap NOT open

- go to C:\Documents and Settings\snorth\Application Data\ESRI\

- rename this folder (e.g., to ESRI_old)

- go to System Registry (via Start - Run - regedit)

- go to HKEY CURRENT USER - Software - ESRI; rename ESRI (e.g., to ESRI_old)

So far, this has worked for the two problem installations in my office.

sarah..."

That Sarah made that above, and worked fine for some days. And freezed again. I've just made that, and after 5 minutes of working, tha ArcMap speed is like the new installed version. Very fast clicking, opening, etc.

I hope, i can help you a bit!

oioi

Update: i've worked wiith arcmap, and freezing after 40 minutes....i've tested ctrl+alt+del > running processes > arcmap > high priority instead normal...waited about 1-2 minutes, arcmap gone back from freez, saved all edits and restart application...I think the 9.3.1 was more usable, 10.1 is a crap...

Edited by maunaloa

• 1 month later...
Well, I was suffering the same problem, and at the end the unique solution I have found that worked was to turn off .NET Framework 4.5

So, if you are using Win 8, give it a try, it worked for me, maybe can work for you.

Hi everyone!

I hope, this topic will be a good place in this General Topic. So: i have a new notebook, i think its kool, i7 cpu, 12 gb ram, 1 tb hdd (old sata3 not ssd). Thought, the ArcGis 10.1 + windows 7 64 will be fine..but not.

The main problem is by opening and using many rasters. The ecw file zoom in-out is pretty kool, but the jpg, png, other raster slooowing down the system. Not only the gis program, it's sloowing the main system too. The arcgis uses only 300-600 mb ram, and few cpu, so how can it slow down the pc?

My main question is: have anyone had this problem too?

cheers

Yes, I've found countless issues with ArcGIS 10.1. Here's what I would do based on my own experience as there are tons of things that could affect performance:

1) Clear the results from the results tab. These stored 'results' can cause ArcGIS to take a long time in loading.

2) If you have a lot of toolboxes, only load the ones you need. I've had countless issues with Production Mapping and ArcHydro toolboxes in the past.

3) Consider using mosaic datasets if you need to have lots of imagery in your table of contents. Also, ArcGIS tends to handle GeoTiffs (even though they are larger) better than compressed imagery such as ecw's due to external pyramid creation.

4) If the rasters are located on a network, then try putting them on your local drive and then loading them into ArcMap. I try not to work on large datasets over the network if possible. I copy it over when I'm done.

5) If your toolbars look like a CAD workspace, then you should probably streamline the amount of tools you actively display.

6) Delete your "normal.mxt" as a last resort.

7) Turn off any antivirus software.

8) Ensure that all service packs are up-to-date and all patches have been applied. Often, these are bugs that are ironed out in service packs.

9) If you are trying to load online imagery into ArcGIS, ensure that caching is enabled in the properties tab of the imagery (if possible).

10. If you don't need to use ArcGIS Online then rename the ArcGISConnectionBin.exe to ArcGISConnectioBin.exe.BAK. You will not be able to use bing imagery or any other type of online service when you do this.

11.) If you have both internal and discrete graphics cards on your computer, try disabling one and using the other and see if that helps. I've had issues with my nvidia card before with ArcGIS.

12.) Ensure that windows 7 is completely up-to-date as well as all your hardware.

13.) Try to repair the install from the disc or image you've used.

14.) Wipe out the program, remove the registry entries and start fresh.

Curious, when you say "using many rasters" do you mean types other than ecw or actually using lots of rasters in a map (i.e. having 50 raster datasets in one map document)? If the latter is the case, then this is definitely going to slow you down and you should create a mosaic dataset or at the very least, merge them all into one single dataset.

ArcMap 10.1 is very very fickle. I've had to delete my normal template more times than I can count, whereas in ArcMap 10 I rarely had to do it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...