Web Server suggestions!!!

badar

Hi,

I want to develop a website in which I want to show data that consists of 5-6 layers with 1-2 GB size. The data will be converted/saved in MS SQL server 2008. Some satellite image as a base layer may or may not be needed in later stage. Layers include point, line and polygon geometry types. Data will be queried by end user using combo boxes may be and queried data will be displayed on may be google maps or my satellite imagery or only the data alone.

My problem is that I've only a little experience of google maps api. I don't know pro's and con's of using a map server like mapguide, mapserver, GeoMedia or ArcIMS etc. or google maps api. Can any body give me a comparison of capabilities of these webgis solutions considering above mentioned requirements.

Regards

I need to opt for a solution immediately and start working on it. Hosting prices for sites developed using javascript API's like google maps are far less than the mapping servers. So why should I opt for an expensive option (in terms of hosting prices) over the javascript API's considering the above mentioned requirements. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards

for hosting, you definietly need a dedicated server for that, a spatial web server request need a high resource

Im not really into in Map server, some comparison i found on wiki :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_geographic_information_systems_software#Map_servers

in general, gis de facto is ESRI, so if you have the budget, then ArcGIS Server is the best choise, but in my opinion, any descent map server like you mentioned can serve most mapping function you needed, ;)

for me, Im now learning mapserver, its open source and in my country we have many tutorial books for this stuff :P

• Like 2

@ arcsump

Yes I need to serve spatial data. And I now have to work on mapguide.

I have to link sql server 2008 with mapguide. Ultimately, I'll have to use autodesk mapguide but for initial stage, can anybody give me some tips/tutorial on how to link sql server with mapguide (autodesk or open source).

Thanks in advance

• 2 years later...

Hello, 

anther alternative thinking is evaluating the possibilities of SuperGIS Server. It can display the data in SQL server, oracle, and postgresSQL. Both geometry and text data. Shape and raster data are also acceptable for data publishing. If the file size in image data is too huge, you can also use cache tool to pre-generate the map images as the tile image for faster data rendering. 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...