Web Mapping programming With Arc GIS Server 10.1

Amir 2010a

Hi

in ArcGIS 10.1  ESRI still  supports  webgis grogramming with  ArcGIS Web ADF Control  for  java/ DontenFramework

but in my opinion ESRI  will decide to invest on web mapping API  for example  :

1- Arc GIS API for Silverlight

2- Arc GIS API for Javascript

3-Arc GIS API For Flex

in ArcGIS 10.2 ESRI will not support  ArcGIS Web ADF Control  for  java/ DontenFramework

is it true?

and Which API is better for future javascript  or silverlight or flex?

I think its time to stop playing with silverlight and start js. I think its the javascript people who actually started the 'beautiful web' for the first time. It was ajax which made the Google Map happen. It was jquery who made the web animation cross platform. When Apple first announced to stop support for flash, people started to see the true beauty of open source. If you want to start web mapping, javascript should be your man! If you are looking for security, speed, aesthetics and power at the same time, javascript is the one.

About ESRI, well if they feel to stop support for js, well they will be in a deep sh*t. ESRI is already chased by some vicious  rivals, ie- ERDAS Apollo. These people are making brilliant web mapping resources and already introduced Oracle map maker in their packages. Oracle- another giant. I don't think ESRI will go too far out of the field to stop the ball, making friends with Microsoft.  :laugh:

BTW, didn't they made few apps for open source Android!!!  :wink:

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I think the benefit is with JavaScript API, just because JavaScript is embedded in HTLM5.  For future use especially in moving towards Mobile, HTM5 is the way to go.  So you don't have to worry about any plug ins like flash for Flex, silverlight etcs.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Adobe will discontinued support flash when it comes to Mobile, and fully support Flash in HTML5.  So it makes sense to go with JavaScript API, I think!  Although I think Flex is really "sexy" looking, in term of cosmetically/esthetically, I really haven't seen JavaScript being that good looking. But then again I haven't really use JavaScript with Ajax yet, so I could be wrong.  What do you guys think? 

Edited by sp@ti@l_thinking