ESRI and Microsoft

hariasa

The other thread was originally about iPod's, and then turned to ESRI and Microsoft so I put it into a new thread if you don't mind.

hello hariasa

indeed battery is the problem right now, we need some breakthrough on that in the future

hem, wew I never knew bout what you called "the bond" between ESRI and microsoft? please the detail, I would love to hear that,

regards,

Couple of years ago, Microsoft became really interested with GIS applications, BING maps, lots of cooperation with GIS suites and also high-end professional software. I can't really name specific ones, but I worked at a Aerial Photography company and most of the software/hardware/drivers they were working with to produce and process the pictures were Microsoft or Microsoft certified partners.

To answer to Googles release of Google Earth, Microsoft was also really interested to work with ESRI to get the professional market. Why else do you think that at ESRI conferences, Microsoft usually has a few presentations with it promoting their cooperation, GIS integration in their Windows Mobile (at the time).

ESRI was also really pushing their 'ribbon interface' with ArcGIS 10 (something that did not really work out) because Microsoft wanted it to become ubiquitous. And there were really persistent rumors about Microsoft wanting to buy ESRI, but I think it fell through somehow.

It really annoys me. I have asked ESRI developers repeatedly why they do not make a single GIS app for Mac (except ArcGIS explorer and now CityEngine 3D) but they always kind of 'avoid' the question. Surely it is a big change but some of the hardware that is on Macs (thunderbolt IO, relatively easy compatibility with other professional hardware) is quite nice. I think that in the long term it will pay itself back. I think that it's also a nice time to 'start over' and 'reinterpret' ArcGIS, and to let go of the buggy, cluttered, limited, expensive and bloated program it is now and instead make something that is easy to use, affordable, smooth and clean.

If ESRI won't do it, it's a loss for them, and perhaps some other company will do it for them.

ahhhhhhh, really nice info,

I never thought that MS have interest to mapping business (sure this is really promising business)

I just notice MS have microsoft map point (product that related to mapping from MS).

but indeed bout MS and ESRI relation, some years ago, I just notice something strange in ESRI product, Arcpad, it only support Windows Mobile , although there are many popular platform other than that,

ahahahaha, now all explained, thanx mate, +1 for you

regards,

• 6 months later...